Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Hi I have synced my Gmail Account with my MacMail. However,

Hi

I have synced my Gmail Account with my MacMail. However, there is more emails showing on in my Mac Inbox compared to Gmail.com.

I have already deleted and re added the account on my computer. Modified my settings in Gmail.com. I have also spoken to Apple, but still nothing.

For some reason some sent Items are in my Mac Inbox. When I delete and re add the account the messages are still coming through.

I hope you can help me

Thanks

Tom
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

What are your settings for removing from server in Mail?
Which version of OS X do you have?
Do you mean that old email is appearing in Mail than what is on the Gmail server?

Mac Mail app gets all mail that is on the server, even those thought deleted.
I have found that some email providers keep deleted email in a deleted email folder that has to be opened and the email once again deleted or it stays for an undetermined length of time.
I also have a Gmail account in my Mac Mail app, I use it on my iPhone, iPad, iMac and Macbook Pro. What gets deleted on one device also deletes on all devices.

If you have just added the Gmail account to Mac Mail it may take a little time for it to all shake out and get into sync.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Dan. I appreciate your help. I live in Sydney, Australia so I may take a bit to get back to you.

I am running 10.7.2 Lion. I looked the syncing gmail with Apple Mail IMAP and used those settings.

I am using IMAP. I have had Gmail synced for almost 3 years and the problem has just started.

In mail when I click on Inbox it says there are 6210 messages, but in Gmail it is 5156. Some messages I sent are appearing in my Apple Mail inbox. If I delete these there is still a discrepency in the numbers. If I resync the account on my Mac the messages come back.

As you may be aware it is almost impossible to get in contact with Gmail Support.

Thanks heaps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also I just noticed that the IMAP path prefix is empty. What is this? If you don't know how can i find it?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, had some internet issues, hope I have them sorted out.
Where are you seeing this?
Hello to the land down under.

Seems like an excessive amount of email, uses a lot of space.
You can try these things, might make a big difference.
Rebuild the Mailbox.
From the Mailbox drop down menu on the bottom select Rebuild (make sure you have selected the gmail account if you have more than just that one).
If that doesn't fix the discrepancy then move on to the next.

Repairing permissions always helps the Macs performance, this PDF explains how and why.

Repairing Permissions

Follow that with a pram rest, this cleans out cobwebs, so to speak.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes.

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.

Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

I cannot at this time send any images.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for that Dan. Sorry for the delay

I have completed all of those steps and there is still a discrepancy between the two accounts.

When I completed the PRAM reset, there was a blank screen after each chime.

What is the IMAP Prefix?

What could I do next?

Thanks

Tom
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
You did the pram correctly, I will add that blank screen as part of what it does, I don't think about it much.
For Gmail it should read for incoming, imap.gmail.com and for outgoing, smtp.gmail.com. There is no prefix, if you have one edit it to read as above.

The server is not counting some messages stored in a different folder, Mail is accessing all folders and bringing all messages, good, bad and ugly whereas the server is hiding some.
I know that doesn't make much sense but I do not and did not write any of this software, I just have a knack to make it work.

Another thing you might try is repairing Mail.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Dan.

I think these messages are on my computer somewhere. Where do I find where they are?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not accept you're answer yet? Could you please refund the money?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Customer Help | JustAnswer
Use Spotlight, that is the magnifying glass thing upper right on your screen.
Type in the subject, sender or something that will identify it. Your Mac will do the rest.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Dan

I think this is the issue, but this means that I will have to do it for all the messages. I don't now who they are.

Could you please refund the money?

Thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Look at the link I sent.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Which link is that?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help Dan. Unfortunately that did not fix the issue.

What you recommend I do next?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The issue has been isolated to gmail.com

Thanks for your help. Could you please close this case