Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I have a complete album of photos in iPhoto that dissapered,

Customer Question

I have a complete album of photos in iPhoto that dissapered, the photos are still there but when i try and look at them the photo turns black with a !
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

We can try to rebuild your iPhoto Library and see if that works or not..

Rebuild iPhoto Library
  1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/checkboxes
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

If that didn't worked then rebuild your iPhoto Library with this application, iPhoto Library Manager (just try the trial version) : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Please follow the instructions in here to rebuild your iPhoto Library with iPhoto Library Manager : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/Help/rebuilding%20a%20corrupted%20iphoto%20library.html

Let me know if that didn't worked..Only click Accept after we solved the problem

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am doing a safety copy first, then Ill try your suggestion
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Okay...Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
NO!!!!! Now even the miniatures are gone and I can only see empty frames in the folder!!!!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
The ! alread indicates that the pictures are missing. Don't you have backup of your library ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How come I could se the miniatures before but not now, should I try the other suggestion, with the free program?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Those are the thumbinail caches. Yes, try it .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK!
And yes, I did a safety copy in Time Machine!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Try my second suggestion now.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
NO!!!
I got a new album but still blanks!!!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Were you able to extract photos with it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont know!!! I did a safety copy in time machine, how do I find out whats in it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I try and open iPhoto in the safety back up i get error: error code 10657
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Can you extract the photos from the library with iPhoto Library Manager ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Same error code: 10657
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Can you extract the photos from backed up library ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WHAT IS HAPPENING-NOW MY ENTIER iPhoto library is EMPTY!!!!!!!! Every event - everything is gone!!!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You still have the backup right ?

It seems like your iPhoto Library is corrupted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To be honest Im close to crying right now, but yes as far as I know i got saftetybackup on external HD via timemachine...
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry to say, but somehow you lost all photos from your library. Did you searched photos with spotlight
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im in a bit of panic!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What shall I do????????
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What does the error code mean???
10657
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay...Never seen that error before. Search jpg in Spotlught, searchbox in the top right corner of your screen and this will bring all photos of your Mac
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried, 5 pictures came back. Now I am crying!!!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Then all your pictures are gone. There is nothing left on your Mac. I don't know how it happened. Do you have the backup of the library which is done prior to this problem ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I DONT KNOW - I GIVE UP!!! IM DEVASTADED!!!
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Why are you yelling at me. I'm trying to help you...Can your restore and oldest backup of your library, then extract photos from it ?