Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs
23822421

rr-mfu

Customer Question

changing my administrator name and password. I just downloaded Leopard and check for software updates. It asks for my administrator user name & password. I typed in what I been using for years. Now it won't accept it. How do I go from here.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Engineer John C., I will be your expert today.

Try leaving it blank (enter nothing) and then press Return.

Does it work?

After you follow my solution, please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

Please scroll down and click the green Accept button so I can get compensated for my time

Thank you very much!

John C.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nope. that doesn't do it. Ask me enter both name & password.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
The name is XXXXX XXXXX username.

A lot of customers don't have an administrator password, so please try entering your username (usually it is already there) and then leave the password XXXXX

Does it work?

If no luck, we can reset the password. Please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can I set the user name as well?
The username should be there automatically, you can restart the computer and you will see the username there when you try to update any software.

Or fo to Finder, then go to Applications, then Utilities, then double click Terminal to run it.

You will see a blank or black window with a $ prompt. You username is XXXXX XXXXX before the $ prompt.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's exactly what I thought it was. Interesting thing is they give me a hint about the password. I know I have that correct. Dogs name.
Please remember that the password XXXXX XXXXX sensitive, for example "A" is different from "a".

If your dog's name is Alfalfa (just an example), try with alfalfa, Alfalfa, ALFALFA, etc.

Please keep me posted.

Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've tried it multiple ways. It's not accepting it.
Then you are not entering the right one. What exact Mac OS X version do you have ? Go to apple icon, then About this Mac. You will see the version number under "Mac OS X"

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
10.5. I just installed Leopard. Although most of it installed. Gave me a failed message due to something with my Epson printer. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. Looks like Leopard is working, I just need to update the software downloads.
Please follow the steps below:

1. Power on or restart your Mac.

2. At the chime (or grey screen if your chime is turned off), hold down Command+S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.

3. Type mount -uw / and press Enter.
Note the blank spaces: mount (BLANK) -uw (BLANK) / (ENTER)

5. Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist and press Enter.
Note the blank spaces: launchctl (BLANK) load (BLANK) /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist (ENTER)

6. Type ls /Users and press Enter. This lists all of the usernames on the computer – helpful if you don’t know or remember what these are.
Note the blank spaces: ls (BLANK) /Users (ENTER)

7. Type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password and replace “username” with one of the users displayed in the previous step. Replace “password” with a new password XXXXX your choice. Press Enter.
Note the blank spaces: dscl (BLANK) . (BLANK) -passwd (BLANK)/Users/your_username (BLANK) newpassword (ENTER)

8. Type reboot and press Enter.

9. Then enter the new password XXXXX prompted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It did not work
This procedure works. Please follow it to the T. Also let me know where you get stuck or get an error message.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was not promting me to change password.
You are not going to be prompted to change the password. You are going to enter the new password XXXXX Step number 7

Step number 7:

Type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password and replace “username” with one of the users displayed in the previous step. Replace “password” with a new password XXXXX your choice. Press Enter.