Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

my imac will not start. I unplugged the power cord for a few

Customer Question

my imac will not start. I unplugged the power cord for a few minutes and plugged it back in while simultaneously pressing the stat button. When I pressed it again I just heard a click sound. Help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am Engineer John C., I will be your expert today.

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

7. Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting.

8. Please scroll down and click the green Accept button so I can get compensated for my time

Thank you very much!

John C.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nothing happens when press te start button

Unfortunately a component inside the computer is defective, it may be the hard drive, the memory or the motherboard, and this cannot be repaired at home.

Please make an appointment with the Genius Bar at any Apple store clicking here -----> http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Then select your State and closest store and click "Reserve".

Please note I do NOT work for APPLE so please do NOT leave me a negative feedback if you are not satisfied with them. Thank you

Thank you

John C.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Resetting the SMC and PRAM for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve • Shut down the computer. • Unplug the computer's power cord. • Wait fifteen seconds. • Attach the computer's power cord. • Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in next step • Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer. • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears. • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts. • Release the keys.