Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

mac mail - one account works correctly other account can not

Customer Question

mac mail - one account works correctly other account can not receive
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Engineer John C., I will be your expert today.

Please let me know ONLY the part of your "problematic" email address after the '@' symbol (like gmail.com, hotmail.com, etc, etc). Please do not give me the whole email address as the system will hide it for your privacy. Please click "Reply to expert" to let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
comcast.net
Thank you

If you have Mac OS 10.5, 10.6 or 10.7, please follow the steps on link below:

Click here -----> http://home.comcast.net/~bethkatz/MacMailSetup.html

After you follow my solution, please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

Please scroll down and click the green Accept button so I can get compensated for my time

Thank you very much!

John C.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still no connection timed out on port 995 have another email account with mac mail and it works perfectly

Is it also a comcast account?

If you try the "problematic" account from here -----> www.comcast.net <=== CLICK HERE

And then click "Email" on the upper right

Then enter the full "problematic" email address and password, then click "Sign In"

Does it work this way?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes going to comcast to get email works just not with mac mail and the other account is also comcast and it works with both comcast and mac mail
Please make sure SSL is selected next to the port 995.

Please click the "Reply to expert" button below to let me know.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
OK. I will opt out so any other expert can try to help you. You will receive an email when another expert takes your question. The new expert will see all our previous thread, so no need to explain the issue again.

Thank you
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 Processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Verify Disk ok Repair Permission ran and now ok
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Select the Inbox of the account that does not work and then go to Mailbox / Rebuild.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
rebuilds I guess but still no receiving of emailsb
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Who is your email provider?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
comcast- I have myself and my wife with account. Her mail account works fine. Mine does not receive. I have looked at her preferences and then mine and the only difference is in the outgoing mail server setting on my account does not have my name but hers does (after the smpt.comcast.net)
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
But you can't receive right, sending is OK?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can send but not receive-keep getting a 'mail.comcast.net on port 995 timed out' when I try to get mail-get the little symbol next to into box which i click and then get the message
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Is it setup exactly per the instructions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, and identical to my wife account settings and her mail works both sending and receiving
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I don't see port 995 anywhere change it to 110 in Incoming
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
now get 110 timed out
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Try 143
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
143 timed out
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You can get on the Internet on that computer right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can get to the internet, no problem. I tried to create a new account with my email address but computer said already one with that email address so no go. I have both a IMAC and a Macbook with the email address. For years I got duplicate emails on each computer. Now I still send from each one but no receiving of emails on either. Also, I get emails using Comcast web site and their email.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Go to System Preferences / Security and turn Firewall off. Do you have any virus or security software installed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Firewall off-yes have norton from comcast
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Turn Norton off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
done
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Try again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if you mean try email again I did and still got timed out message
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Go to Utilitties folder and open Network Utility, choose port scan tab and type in

mail.comcast.net

try ports 110 to 110 and give me the results/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
timed out again
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
It would not time out what were the exact results?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I think you need to call comcast because even here I get:

Port Scan has started…

Cannot find host: mail.comcast.net
mail.comcast.net
mail.comcast.net
mail.comcast.com
mail.comcast.net
mail.comcast.net
Port Scan has completed…
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Still need help?