Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I Mac is frozen. Finder screen is up.

I Mac is frozen. Finder screen is up and page that shows "devices, shared, places...". Mouse will move, but nothing responds when I click on it. Do not have a start up disk.Found start up disk if that helps
Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The following errors showed. Invalid volume file count and invalid volume directory count. "the volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired. Error: file system verify or repair failed.
Can you click on Repair?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still running
No problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now says repaired successfully. What should I do next to check it?
Repair Permissions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Says repair complete
Ok quit and restart
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Restarted took care of the freeze, but now I'm missing programs like word excell and power point.
That is unusual did you look in Applications folder?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nope. Lots of really old stuff is there though - that I thought was long since gone.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
aahhhhh - all my photos are GONE!!!
Did you have a backup?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
some of them. :(
Ok they may not be gone. First let's find Office are you sure you are looking in the right Applications folder not the one in your username folder? Go to the Spotlight magnifying and type in Microsoft Word.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
found and clicked - says installing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
installed, but all documents are gone
I did not ask you to install anything what are you talking about?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry - I went to spotlight, typed in microsoft word. high lighted the word when i showed up next to apps - it went on by solf
Ok actually this question was about getting your computer to be unfrozen it is unfrozen rigth?. You can always reinstall Office. Go to Pictures folder and look for iPhoto Library
Are you doing that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah - the initial problem appears repaired. Best I can tell the entire past history of the computer is gone, some swiss cheese areas. Even the icon bar has items that I haven't had on there in years.

Then you should go to the Apple logo and Logout do you see any other users listed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok well obviously your hard drive was VERY corrupted. You at last can reinstall Office your Dock can be recreated that is just aliases to your apps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
any other areas that I need to go through and try to "uncorrupt?' Any suggestions to prevent this in future?
I have virus software, etc
There are really no viruses for Mac, run the Disk Utility as we did once a month or especially after you have a crash or you have to force quit apps, etc... You can try TechTool Pro it makes a backup of your directory which might have made this less painfull:

Of course a backup drive is mandatory
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do I do backup drive?