Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience

I am locked out of my computer because I forgot my passwor

Customer Question

I am locked out of my computer because I forgot my password
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 2 years ago.

Jesse :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!
My name is XXXXX, XXX I'm here to help.

Try inserting the gray restore disc that came with your Mac (or any Mac OS Install disc) into the disc drive, then restarting while holding down the C key on your keyboard. This should boot you to the disc.

Once there, go to the Tools (or Utilities) menu at the top of the screen, and select the Password XXXXX option. There you can reset the password XXX any user on the computer.

After you've successfully reset the password, restart your computer like normal, and you should be all set.

Customer :

what if we dont have that disc

Jesse :

Sorry for the delay.

Jesse :

You can use any Mac OS install disc, even a disc from another Mac, but you need a disc.

Jesse :

Do you have any of those discs?

Customer :

no i do not it is a macbook air

Jesse :

Do you know what version of Mac OS it has?

Customer :

mac os x

Customer :

maybe

Jesse :

Have you ever upgraded the OS?

Customer :

i do not think so

Jesse :

Okay, one second.

Customer :

ok

Jesse :

Try restarting the computer while holding down the command and r keys together. Make sure to hold them before the Macbook Air comes on after restarting.

Customer :

how do I make my computer restart it is just going to sleep

Jesse :

What screen do you see when it's awake?

Customer :

my background and then were I put my password XX

Jesse :

Try clicking the Escape key, and you should see a Reset button.

Customer :

got it

Customer :

then

Jesse :

Okay, make sure to hold those keys before it comes on again.

Jesse :

Just keep holding the keys, you should see a Mac OS restore screen. If you don't and it just boots like normal, let me know.

Customer :

ok it is just booting up like normal

Jesse :

Okay, then the only other option is a bit complicated, but it will work.

Customer :

ok

Jesse :

What I'll do is go through it one section at a time. You can see the whole process in the link here, but we'll break it down.

Customer :

ok

Jesse :
Restart the mac while holding down the Command and S keys. You should be taken to a prompt with a black screen.

Customer :

how do i restart it

Jesse :

Same thing as before, click escape and then click the Restart button.

Customer :

i do not get a restart button though

Jesse :

What do you see?

Customer :

just a black screen but when i press something it goes back to the background

Jesse :

So you don't see your normal login screen? Are there any words or menus at the top of the screen?

Customer :

yes i still see the login screen

Jesse :

Okay, but if you click the Escape button nothing happens?

Customer :

yes it turns black but when i press something it goes back to the login screen

Jesse :

Okay, is there a back arrow below where you're supposed to type in the password?

Customer :

no

Jesse :

Try holding the Control, Command and Eject keys together. That should force it to restart. Then immediately hold the Command S keys.

Jesse :

I have to step out for a bit but I'll be back. You can follow the instructions in the link I provided if you wish, or wait for me to return.

Customer :

i have n0 eject key

Customer :

I got it

Jesse :

Okay, so you see the black screen with the prompt?