Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs

I have a gen2 apple tv. Has a wifi setup. Youtube works great.

Customer Question

I have a gen2 apple tv. Has a wifi setup. Youtube works great. works all the time. itunes is not so good. it drops out about every ten minutes. I go to my computer and turn off itunes, then turn it on again- then I go to the den where the apple tv is- and "Doug's Library" comes back up. I have read on the net that itunes is very problematic with apple tv. Apple tv was installed by the Geek Squad.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Engineer John C., I will be your expert today.

Your internet connection may be slow.

1- Please click here -----> http://www.speedtest.net/

2- Then click "Begin Test". Do not click any other button or ad. Just click the "Begin Test" button. It must say "BEGIN TEST" exactly

3- Let me know the Ping, "Download speed" and "Upload Speed" results
Experience: I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ping is 5 ms

download is 21.13

upload is 2.09

That's a great speed! Please follow the steps below to refresh the IP addresses of your network:

1- Turn off your wireless router (and unplug it from the electricity outlet if it does not have a power button) BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART.

2- Turn off your internet modem (if you have one) and unplug it from the electricity outlet

3- Turn off your computer(s)

4- Turn off your wireless printer(s)

5- Wait 60 seconds

6- Turn them all ON again.

7- Wait 5 minutes (yes, 5 minutes please)

8- Try with iTunes again. Does it work fine now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
another thing. I found all other appletv functions work fine with the computer powered down. itunes is the only app that needs computer and itunes runiing-right?
Yes, iTunes needs the computer to be on and connected to your wireless network.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

tried the big turn off=-computer, modem and router-- same result

plays about ten minutes and then drops.

Are you listening to music from iTunes? am I right?

Please make sure the computer that has the music doesn't go to sleep, turns off or disconnect from internet.

The "main" computer should be turned ON and with internet connection.

Please check that and let me know. Thank you

John C.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
computer stays on and leaves itunes as main screen.

That's weird, it should work. When the connection is lost, please check if the computer went to sleep and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if you type in apple tv and itunes in google, you get a lot of disgruntled people who can't get the thing to work. Thus is not a new problem on the net. people are blaming apple for not fixing the wifi issues. I always read these things after I buy something., not before.

You will always find people blaming products on the net, especially if the product is sold in millions. I also have the Apple TV and it works perfect. Of course, your unit may be defective.

Do you still have warranty on your Apple TV?

We can try also changing the channel used by your wireless router. What's your router brand and model?