Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have 320GB external hard drive for backing up my files.

I have 320GB external hard drive for backing up my files. I get messages that the backup is not successful because I no longer have the capacity to backup. Last successful backup was Jan 1 2012. 3200 files and 23GB. What should I do? Can the Toshiba external hard drive be emptied? If so, how?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
That depends how large is your internal hard drive?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I find the size of my internal hard drive
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have aaan HP Pavilion desk top not a Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok not sure why this was in Mac category too but anyway go to Start / Computer / right click on C Drive and go to Properties
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
used 133 GB. Total 452GB
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes in that case 320 GB is not enough you have a 500 GB internal drive, you can't even back it up once. Get at least aXXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This does not help me. I was successful for about six months. Is it possible to empty the external drive and use it again until it fills up?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes but it will not work eventually. It's your funeral.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Anyone knows to get a backup drive "at least" as big as the drive you want to back up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How long can I expect theXXXXXto work before it is filled up?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
That depends on how you backup if you are ony backing up "exactly" what you have and not doing older files then it will work forever, or until the drives fail...they all do. If you want to backup older files then it will fill up eventually not for quit a while in your case.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Am I better off with a program like Norton online backup or a 1 or 2 or3 TB external drive?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I have not had great luck with online backup but I have not tried Norton I would feel safer with an external drive.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANK YOU
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
good luck