John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

How to restore a disabled iPad ...wont let me connect to

How to restore a disabled iPad ...won't let me connect to iTunes.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

If you have trouble with the following, do not click "Accept" yet - just reply back for further troubleshooting.

The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will re-install the operating system on the device and then re-sync user data once it is done.

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes before attempting this:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

* Open iTunes

* Connect the iOS device to the computer

* Turn off the iOS device (hold down the sleep/wake button on the top) until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up.

* Hold down the sleep/wake button AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more. You may need to disable any 3rd party security software.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If it does, please click ACCEPT so I can be credited for my time assisting you. Experts do not earn a salary and thus our work is only recognized when it is "accepted" by the customer. If you continue to have questions on this topic, DO NOT leave negative feedback, just reply back to this thread. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks,

Note: When leaving feedback, please judge only my personal efforts. Do not leave negative feedback for factors outside my control; such as hardware defects, loss/lack of software or backups, or the JustAnswer website.
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How to disable 3rd party software
That will greatly depend on which antivirus or firewall apps you may be running. It is often easiest to temporarily uninstall them, for troubleshooting purposes.

However, if you haven't yet, you should attempt the procedure before worrying about the security software.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Says an error occurred 3194. What now
Are you running the latest version of iTunes?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure downloading now
Okay, you may wish to completely remove iTunes before installing the latest release.

Go to the Control Panel and click "Add/Remove Programs" to uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following order and then restart your computer:

iTunes
QuickTime
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support
Bonjour
Apple Application Support

If you have trouble uninstalling any of the above, try the following Microsoft Fix It utility to troubleshoot the uninstallation:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Once you've completed the removal, restart your computer and re-install iTunes using the newest download available.

If you *still* receive errors when attempting to restore after installation, then removal of any security software would be the next troubleshooting step.