Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I read that I could reset my ipad without losing media and

I read that I could reset my ipad without losing media and started the process, but now I'm stuck on Set Up iPad page. My choices are Set up as New iPad, Restore from iCloud Backup and Restore from iTunes Backup. I would like to Restore from iTunes Backup but when I connect to my computer, it syncs, but my iPad doesn't respond. I am on vacation in Uraguay and only my computer is connected to the internet, not my ipad.

The reason I decided to reset my ipad was that it was stuck on 64% battery without changing, it would not shut completely off and it would no longer upload my photos from my memory card through a non-apple adaptor.

I have photos, imovies and apps and notes that I do not want to lose.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

If you have not done the restore deed then unplug the iPad from the computer.
This is how to reset it.

To reset the iPad press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons down together, keep them down until the Apple appears, ignore the shut off with the red slider.
graphic

It can take what seems like forever, wait for it.

If you have done any kind of restore without syncing content then you stand a good chance of losing all data.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have done the deed:-(
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Reset or restore? Resetting does not harm data.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe I did just the restore. I have an iPad guide from MacWorld and it explained how to reset the computer without losing data. I have chosen "restore from iTunes Backup" connected my computer and clicked next on the iPad and it has synced, but not advaced from that next page. Right now it is on the page mentioned in my initial question.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Right click on the iPad icon and see if it will let you make a backup. Or transfer content.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The ipad icon where? When I click on my ipad under "devices" in iTunes on my computer, my choices are: Sync, Transfer Purchases, Back Up or Restore from Backup

And, under capacity for my ipad in itunes, I see all of the media is still on my iPad.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
That is good, it means that all is present and accounted for.
Now unplug the iPad. It does not need to be connected for a reset, only a restore.

graphic

That is what a reset is, a restore actually erases the content, then reinstalls the iOS, then you restore what was backed up.
This is much the same as a new installation of Windows.

A reset, on the other hand, erases nothing, just clears the 'cobwebs' out so to speak.
Another thing to do if an app is not acting like it should is to return to the home screen, double tap the Home button to show all open apps. Find the errant app by score;;ing to the left if needed, then press and hold the icon until it starts wiggling and a red - appears. Tap that - to actually quit that app.
Then press the Home button again to return to the home screen.
Now find and open the app you have just quit, 99 times out of a 100 it will work just like it should again.
Try that and let me know.

Pad2 iOS5

That and much more info in that PDF above.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have done this and it starts going through the set up; asking me what language, location, location service and then goes to the same page I mentioned above. I'm stuck on Set Up iPad page. My choices are Set up as New iPad, Restore from iCloud Backup and Restore from iTunes Backup.

What should I do at this point?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Setting up as 'New' will allow you to populate the iPad with what you have in iTunes.
That article explains it best.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.