John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.

I run Microsoft Office 2004 on my Mac (OS 10.6) and normally

Customer Question

I run Microsoft Office 2004 on my Mac (OS 10.6) and normally don't have any problems. I now have an excel spreadsheet that I have been using for years, and suddenly, it is "invisible". I can see the content of the spreadsheet in preview mode, but when I open the spreadsheet, there are no worksheets visible. Most of the excel menu functions are greyed out (as they would be before any worksheet is open). The problem is only with this specific spreadsheet on this specific computer. All my other excel files open satisfactorily, and this file opens correctly on my husband's mac computer.

What is going on?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Let's try this first

Open that file, then click on Window from the menu, then select Arrange, then select Tiled and click OK

Hope this helps. Let me know if you still have any problems

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. It does not help. The "arrange" option is greyed out. When I open the file, there is a brief flash as if something is going on but then there is nothing there, and the list of previously opened files under the file menu does not include this file.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.
Ok could you send me that file so I can have look. To do so go to http://www.wikisend.com/ and upload the file (no need to signup) then copy the "File ID" number (or the download link) that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I will upload file. The information does contain names and addresses of people, so I expect you to use this file only for the purpose I send it to you.

Lyn
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
File ID Number is XXXXX
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Lyn, in that case please do not post it on that site. One moment I will give another site for that...

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok try this version

http://www.2shared.com/file/UoQaqh4Z/RVM_FitmentGenius1.html

(make sure to click the blue DOWNLOAD button at the bottom of the download page)

Le me know when you have received the file so I can delete it from that website

Thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the answer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i've already uploaded it on the wikisend site - let's keep this simple.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

hmm.. Wikisend is not secure and your security setting may not allow you to download. If you insist I can upload it at wikisend at your own risk

Did you get the file that I sent you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have now downloaded the file you sent me. As it is an "xlsx" file I have to run the conversion program. But it said "Could not convert file - too many different cell formats".

I have uploaded my file on the wikisend site, and it did not give me any error messages. I understand it is at my own risk.

Lyn
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

As I mentioned in my last post the security is on downloading not uploading

Anyway here is the file on wikisend

http://wikisend.com/download/982998/Registration%20Records%201.xls

If you don't get the correct file it means there is a security problem. Let me know

Thank you for clicking Accept

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Were you able to get the file?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry, I am not following this. I have just clicked on the wiki send link you have just given me. I clicked on down load and it downloaded to me computer the file "Registration records-1.xls" which I take to be the file I had just sent you on wikisend. This file displays the same symptoms - that is, it appears normal in the "preview" mode in Finder, but is invisible in excel.

What are you trying to get me to do?
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

No that's a repaired version of the file. Here is a screenshot showing that it does open with all the sheets

graphic

Would you be able to send me a screenshot of the Excel screen when you try to open the file

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I get it!. But this has not fixed my problem. I cannot open / see the repaired file. It behaves exactly as does the original file. The original file opens quite correctly on my husband's mac computer, but even if I same it under a different name and try again on my own computer, it is "invisible".

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can do this, if you give me a few minutes more. I have been mucking around at my end trying to resolve the problem and I have worked out that when I open the file from Excel, the "flash" I was seeing was the small dialogue box which normally comes up saying "opening file name". But this box was disappearing so quickly I was not seeing it properly. So my diagnosis is that the file open function is failing but is not generating an error message.

I will send you a screen shot but it will just have on it the normal Excel menu bars and my desk top !!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I can't work out how to take a screen shot. When I go out of Excel to grab a screen shot, the excel screen is no longer the screen.

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok could you try this

Launch Excel application so it will open a new blank workbook. Then open the problem file from within Excel using File > Open command

Does it open that way?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried all ways to open the file - double clicking on the file; opening Excel with a blank worksheet then using the open command; having Excel running and closing the blank worksheet, then opening the file with the open command. The behaviour is the same in all cases.
I have gone back to a saved copy of the file from several months ago, and that file also will not open, displaying exactly the same behaviour. And yet I have regularly worked on the file between the time of the backed up copy (onto a USB stick) and now, without any problems.

I am thinking of giving up and reconstructing the file from data held elsewhere.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

When you opened the file from within Excel as requested in my last message, surely the menu commands were not grayed out, were they

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WHen Excel is running and there is a new blank worksheet open, the fullset of menu commands are there. Then I open "Registration records.xls" using the file open command, but nothing opens. Only the blank worksheet is on the screen and all attempts (such as commands in the "window" menu such as "arrange" do not bring any of the worksheets of "Registration records.xls" into view. If I close the blank worksheet, then the majority of the menu commands are greyed out as there is not file for them to act on.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

When you open that file when a blank workbook is open, click on Window and check at the bottom of the drop down list. Which workbooks do see listed?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only the new bank worksheet. Also in the list of files previously opened (under the File menu), there is never a listing for "Registration records". The file is not opening and not generating any error message !!!!
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok other than a corrupted file here are all the possible solutions for this issue (we have already tried the first one)

http://www.officearticles.com/excel/no_worksheet_appears_in_microsoft_excel.htm

Hope this helps

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I have tried all of those. I have deduced that the file is corrupted and so I am going to reconstruct from other data.

Thank you for your assistance. You can close this case now.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
John,

Just for your information. The problem with me being unable to successfully open an Excel file got worse, with the same behaviour occurring with other files. I have fixed the problem by reloading Excel.

Lyn
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Hi Lyn. Glad to hear that you were able to fix the issue by reinstalling Excel. Hope it continues to work well