John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.

I am running a MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel 2 Core Duo and using

I am running a MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel 2 Core Duo and using Excel Version 14.1.4. I am computing a T-Test for independent samples and came up with an answer of 4.83827E-05. This answer befuddles me in that I believe I am supposed to come up with a probability between 0.0 and 1.0. What does the 4.83827E-05 mean? Even when I run the T-Test on a pc, I get the same answer.

That is a decimal number equal to 0.0000483827 but represented in "scientific notation"

To have it displayed in decimals, first chose the column which has that number and widen the column (i.e Column Width = 15)

Then select the cell that has that number and click Format > Cells > Number tab, then from the Category list on the left choose Number, then in the Decimal Places field type 10. Click OK

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or if you need me to send you sample file with that number in decimal

Thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the answer