loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
24048999

I have a mac book pro 13 , i have problem with word , i tried

I have a mac book pro 13 , i have problem with word , i tried to paste a document , message received "insufficient memory, save doc " ? I have available 34.22 GB
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 2 years ago.

loadedmind :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer - I'm John. Can you please copy/paste the exact error message you receive when using Word and attempting to paste a document? Also, it would help to know the following information please:

loadedmind :

* What version of OS X are you using? To obtain this information, click on the
Apple icon at top left, then choose About This Mac from the menu. The numbers to
the right of Version is what I'm looking for.
* What are the system specifications of your Mac? To obtain this information, click the Apple icon at the top left, then choose About this Mac. I'm looking for what you see to the right of Processor and to the right of Memory.

Customer:

ok one minute

Customer:

mac os x , version 10.6.8

Customer:

mac os x version 10.6.8

loadedmind :

Ok, and what does it say for your processor and memory?

Customer:

when i try to paste the document , the message says "insufficient memory-save doc

loadedmind :

Customer:

what do you mean ? this is the messafe i receive no mention of processor or memory , about mac says processor 2.3 Ghz core 15 and memory 4 gb 1333 mhz DDr3

loadedmind :

Ok, excellent. Knowing this helps me help you more efficiently, FYI.

loadedmind :

Do you know what version of Office for Mac you're running?

loadedmind :

is it 2008?

Customer:

for some reason , i was just able to paste the document NOW

loadedmind :

ok, so it's working?

Customer:

there is a small icon at bottom of page , what does it mean ? too many clips .. how to eliminate

Customer:

THE PROBLEM IS NOT SOLVED , IT MIGHT COME AGAIN.

loadedmind :

I'm not going anywhere.

loadedmind :

8^)

Customer:

WE MUST SEARCH FOR THE CAUSE , AS YOU DID NOT YET ON THE PROBLEM

loadedmind :

I'm here for you.

loadedmind :

No worries.

loadedmind :

You don't have to shout. 8^)

loadedmind :

Can you please tell me what version of Office you're using?

loadedmind :

Do you need me to help you find this information?

Customer:

HOW CAN I FIND OUT

Customer:

YES

loadedmind :

Can you please turn caps lock off?

loadedmind :

Switch over to Office for Mac Word, then, at the top, click the word Word, then click About

loadedmind :

The version information should display here.

Customer:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN, NOT FAMILIAR WITH CAPS ,

Customer:

WHAT IS "OFFICE " ?

loadedmind :

On the left side of your keyboard.

loadedmind :

Do you see a button that says Caps Lock?

Customer:

yes ok, but where at the top click word ? top of what

loadedmind :

Ok, when you switch to Word

loadedmind :

In other words, when Microsoft Word is in the foreground.

loadedmind :

Click on the word Word, just to the right of the Apple icon.

loadedmind :

Underneath, you should be able to click About.

loadedmind :

Once you do this, a new window will appear which should have the version.

loadedmind :

I'd like to know what the version is please.

loadedmind :

like, Office for Mac version 2008, for example.

Customer:

microsoft @word 2008 for mac , version 12.1.9 ( 090515) latest install 12.1.9

loadedmind :

thank you

loadedmind :

that's exactly what I needed

loadedmind :

Ok, now, while in Word again, click Help at the top and choose "Check for Updates", from the choices below.

loadedmind :

Does it say you're up to date?

Customer:

it says microsoft might not be properly installed , to restore it reinstall microsoft installation

Customer:

microsoft update cannot open , they say

loadedmind :

Ok. Give me a moment to research that for you please.

loadedmind :

Ok, do you have the original Office 2008 install disc?

loadedmind :

Still there?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

i am checking does it come with the mac wheni bought it ?

loadedmind :

I believe so.

Customer:

could not find it

loadedmind :

Ok, let's see if we can do this a different way. Wait one moment please.

Customer:

i bought my lap top in italy , i suppose it does not make any difference

Customer:

i found mac ox install and application install

loadedmind :

There should've been an additional installation disc specifically for Office for Mac.

Customer:

i do not have it , can we download

loadedmind :

I'm looking.

loadedmind :

Would you happen to have the invoice from when you purchased the Mac?

Customer:

in storage

loadedmind :

Ok, well, you might be able to download Office for Mac, but that may not help as you need the key during installation.

loadedmind :

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to locate the key in an existing Office for Mac installation.

loadedmind :

One moment please.

Customer:

what is the key ?

loadedmind :

The license key during the installation of Office for Mac.

Customer:

you mean that I have to buy "office for mac " from a store ? and install again

loadedmind :

Looks like this:
8XYQC-2WR4U-IMK8L-JUFVC

loadedmind :

That's not a valid key, by the way.

Customer:

i understand , so what is the solution

loadedmind :

Well, looking around at forums, it seems you're going to need the installation DVD eventually.

loadedmind :

This should've come with your laptop when you picked it up, in the box with all of the other discs.

Customer:

does it mean that i have to order it from apple or i can find in any store

loadedmind :

What I can do is supply you with the instructions for properly removing and re-installing the Office for Mac software, which is what you'll need to do to get around the error you're seeing.

loadedmind :

It's most likely in storage or some place where you usually keep installation media.

loadedmind :

If you're unable to locate it, you should be able to talk to Apple and they can assist you in obtaining the key.

Customer:

so i have to order the dvd ? from apple or i can find it in a computer store

loadedmind :

I don't think you have to order the DVD.

loadedmind :

I think if you call Apple, give them your serial number and other identifying information, they should be able to help you get all of that squared away over the phone.

loadedmind :

That said, I can give you an overview of what needs to happen so that you can get Word working properly on your Mac again, if you'd like to hear it.

Customer:

I tried support on line , but they give me the same message " call later or will call you " but they cannot do it because , I am now in the middle east, any phone line to call to get somebody to help , i have skype , i can call a 800 nb also

loadedmind :

Let me see if I can locate a number for you to call.

loadedmind :

One moment.

loadedmind :

Are you currently in Lebanon?

Customer:

yes

loadedmind :

Ok

loadedmind :

Let me find the number for you.

loadedmind :

Dial 00800 01001 first, then dial(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Customer:

ok , they are not very competent here , so lets go to your overview on what to do when i get the dvd

loadedmind :

Ok

loadedmind :

First, here are the instructions for removing Office for Mac, provided you have a working installation DVD:

loadedmind :

1. Quit all applications.

2. In the Finder, click Go, and then select Computer.

3. Open Macintosh HD, and then open the Applications folder.

4. Open the Microsoft Office 2008 folder.

5. Open the Additional Tools folder.

6. Open the Remove Office folder.

7. Open the Remove Office file.

8. The Remove Office window will open. Click Continue.

9. Follow the directions on your screen.

10. Reinstall Office 2008 on your computer.

loadedmind :

After you've installed the Office for Mac software onto your Mac, you'll then want to ensure you have the latest updates. Open any of the Office for Mac applications, such as Word, then click Help at the top, then choose Check for Updates. Click the Check for Updates button in the new window that appears.

loadedmind :

Office for Mac 2008 version 14 should resolve the "insufficient memory" error you're seeing.

Customer:

the small icon appearing at the page says keep source formating , match destination formatting , keep texxt : this is when i paste a document . what should i do with it or ignore it

loadedmind :

Ah, you're looking at the "Paste Special Options" menu.

loadedmind :

It's asking you how you wish to paste the information you obtained from another source.

loadedmind :

I usually choose "match destination formatting"

loadedmind :

But it all depends on what you're working on.

Customer:

On word pasting document into another document , i can also ignore it ?

loadedmind :

Yes.

Customer:

ok , you have been very helpful , thank you for your time , i am going to sleep it is late i click accept

loadedmind :

Basically, it's just taking the font style and type when you choose to copy content and, since Word recognizes what you're about to paste was from a different source, it asks you how you wish to paste the information so that it looks better.

loadedmind :

Ok, take care and sleep well!

loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.