loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.

on my 3gs iphone i created a new account for mobileme and when asked if i wanted to merge

on my 3gs iphone i created a new account for mobileme and when asked if i wanted to merge my calendars I clicked yes. (as advised by apple so as not to duplicate entries). My calenders are now gone.
Q - how can i check to see if they are still on hte phone?
Q - Where are these files kept on the iphone?
and what are they called?
I accept that recovery is a different matter. But i would first just like to know if they are there.
Sadly itunes has never synced calendars so there is no possibility of a restore etc.
thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 2 years ago.

loadedmind :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer - I'm John. Has your iPhone been jailbroken? What iOS version of iPhone do you have? To obtain this information, open Settings on your iPhone, then navigate to General and then About. In this screen, the information to the right of Version is what I'd like to know please.

Customer:

Not JB. V 4.3.2

loadedmind :

There are a few different apps in the App Store that allow you to view your filesystem hierarchy. Just out of curiosity, did you receive any sort of error message during the sync process?

loadedmind :

Part of the problem with the apps in the App Store regarding the ability to view the files as compared to Finder, for example, is it won't allow you to view the raw data while on the device unless you've jailbroken it. I'm not advising you to jailbreak, but I believe I know what you're trying to do and I'm not sure you'll be able to with your current setup. You can see how much the individual iCal file is using, but what would you compare that to unless you did a baseline before the sync?

Customer:

thank you for an interesting answer.

Customer:

I have reached a point where i think i will jailB because it seems the only means to view the files which are on the phone. Whether as you correctly point out that tells me much without a baseline is a plain fact. However if i can copy the file and look into it i will soon know if the dates i want to save are there.

Customer:

I am of course assuming i can read such files because they should be in a format which is generic. we will see.

loadedmind :

If you decide to go with the jailbreak process, know that you'll probably need to scp the iCal data over to your Mac, then using an sqlite editor, view that content within.

loadedmind :

No, not generic - sqlite, in fact.

Customer:

You have of course still not answered my original question. but i more or less know what that is. ie they are in the root directory. and iphonebrowser should show them on the phone is JB

loadedmind :

This is part of the reason why the entire sync process is a bit disconcerting to me, because, basically, Apple is forcing their customers to sync data with iTunes and no other option exists, that I've seen, for iCal-relevant data.

loadedmind :

Give me a moment and I'll locate the exact path for you. One second please.

loadedmind :

Copy /private/var/mobile/Library/Calendar/Calendar.sqlitedb to your computer.

Edit it with "sqlitebrowser". http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlit...

Click "Browse Data"

Select "Calendar" from the drop down menu.

loadedmind :

Do you have any sort of virtual machine software installed on the Mac?

loadedmind :

Such as VirtualBox, VMWare or Parallels?

loadedmind :

If so, you can install Linux as a VM on your Mac and install that sqlite browser software within the Linux instance.

Customer:

am afraid no. i am not in the habit of this squirreling around in the innards of the machine. but i know what you say if right. i will think about boot camp or the like if forced.

Customer:

thanks for the guidance.

Customer:

best wishes

loadedmind :

No problem. If you'd like help with that portion of your problem, let me know and I'll do what I can to assist.

loadedmind :

One more thing.

loadedmind :

If you sift through your iCal appointments and are not finding any data using just the built-in iCal on the iPhone, there's a pretty good chance your iCal appointments and everything else are gone.

loadedmind :

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like that last sync demolished your data.

loadedmind :

And you didn't even have to PAY for that feature - it was free of charge.

loadedmind :

Bad joke, I know.

Customer:

interesting you use the word 'demolished' because that assumption is at the heart of my uncertainty by which i mean since it happened i have not synced or used the phone. So logically i thought whatever data was there before would not have been over written. only the reference to its place of existence would have gone. is that not correct?

loadedmind :

In a perfect world, yes. I've been reading through a few different online forums and it seems many others are experiencing the same phenomena.

loadedmind :

Which is that they're losing data while attempting to sync using the correct options.

loadedmind :

Personally, if you ask me, I think Apple is having a tough time dealing with all the various iPhone versions and how the little differences between versions might be causing havoc with how they talk to the cloud.

Customer:

yep. its happening to lots of people. but to get back to the core issue - when i track down the files in the root will they hold the info i want if it has not been actively deleted or over written?

loadedmind :

Should.

Customer:

ok. thats as much as i can hope for. on the issue of apple i would say their problem is and always has been MobileMe. which is why i suspect in their new cloud world they have dumped sync of calendars.

Customer:

nice talking to you. let you know how it goes.

Customer:

salut.

loadedmind :

Totally agree. I've never trusted my data with MobileMe.

loadedmind :

You too. Good luck.

loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.