loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
24048999

my wifi connection to my ipad is terrible...I am trying to

my wifi connection to my ipad is terrible...I am trying to watch national champ. on espn but it is very skecthy. it used to be so clear just a few days ago
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 2 years ago.

loadedmind :

What kind of computer are you using that you sync the iPad with?

loadedmind :

Also, what brand/model of wifi device are you using?

Customer:

not syncing with a computer. use wifi to mirror ipad tv channels sucj as espn to my tv using hdmi.

loadedmind :

Do you have any computer at this location besides the iPad?

Customer:

linksys wirelss g 2.4GHz 54mbps

Customer:

yes

loadedmind :

what kind of computer is it?

Customer:

dell desktop is hardwired. and i use a dell laptop wirelessly

loadedmind :

Ok, thanks. Is the Dell laptop having any connectivity issues? Can you please go to Start->Run and type cmd, then press Enter, then type ping -t google.com and let me know what the ttl shows?

loadedmind :

Can you please define "sketchy"? Is it having to buffer or what do you mean by sketchy?

Customer:

please give me a sec to boot up laptop

loadedmind :

ok

Customer:

i guess buffer may be the techy term. it like the picture cant keep up with action

loadedmind :

Ok. Do you know how to get to the Settings on the iPad to see what IP address it currently has?

loadedmind :

After you do the ping from the laptop, I'd like to ping the iPad

Customer:

the ttl shows 52

loadedmind :

consistently?

Customer:

yes

loadedmind :

hit control c when you're done, by the way

loadedmind :

ok, see if you can get to the IP address of the iPad.

loadedmind :

You'll find it under settings

loadedmind :

then network

loadedmind :

if not network, it will be wi-fi

Customer:

got it do you need ip?

loadedmind :

just make note of it

loadedmind :

on your desktop, go to cmd prompt and type ping -t <ip of iPad>

Customer:

ok give me sec again

Customer:

done ttl is 64

loadedmind :

from the laptop, ping espn.com and let me know ttl please

Customer:

241

loadedmind :

yeah

loadedmind :

ok

loadedmind :

makes sense

loadedmind :

so, I think what's happening is that everyone and their brother is trying to stream from espn and espn is getting inundated

Customer:

i wondered if that mite be the issue

loadedmind :

one way to verify whether that might be true is to try going to other streaming sites from the iPad

loadedmind :

like wimp.com or some such place that might not be getting hit so hard

loadedmind :

if your experience is smoother, then it's not the iPad

Customer:

definitely not the ipad b/c i streamed from nbc last night. could it be the router?

loadedmind :

no, afraid not

loadedmind :

the site's host can only take so much regarding bandwidth requirements to satisfy the demands of its customers.

loadedmind :

if it was the router, your experience would be awful from the Dell laptop and the iPad, not to mention every site you went to would be terrible.

Customer:

i understand. i'll let espn just in case they don't already

Customer:

know that is

Customer:

thanks for your help

loadedmind :

any time!

Customer:

i'll accept

loadedmind :

glad I could hlep

loadedmind :

take care

loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.