John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I cant unlock my ipod touch. the screen says it is disabled. it also says we need

I can't unlock my ipod touch. the screen says it is disabled. it also says we need to connect to itunes. We tried to connect to itunes, but it says we have to unlock our ipod touch first.
How do we get this fixed?

Thank you!
Lisa
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will re-install the operating system on the device, clearing the passcode, and then re-sync user data once it is done.

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes before attempting this:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

* Open iTunes

* Connect the iOS device to the computer

* Turn off the iOS device (hold down the sleep/wake button on the top) until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up.

* Hold down the sleep/wake button AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

Note: When the device first enters DFU recovery mode, the screen will be black. If you see the iTunes logo on the screen then you have gone into normal restore mode rather than DFU mode.

Let me know how this works for you and/or if you need clarification of any step.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried plugging it back into a different usb port, and now it seems to pull up the itunes logo and a usb port pointing to it. I am assuming this is not the DFU mode....am I not giving it enough time or am I going to fast and missing the time frame to get the recovery mode. The mode that comes up for me is to restore the factory defaults. I don't really want to do this if I don't have to....What should I do?

Usually, it's a question of timing during this portion:

---

---

The screen should remain black through this point up to an including where iTunes says it found a device in recovery mode.

Note, this process also wipes the device as a normal factory restore would do... there's really no way around that when trying to remove a passcode.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It finally took! Thank you for your help!

Go Alabama!

Have a great night!

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If it does, please click ACCEPT so I can be credited for my time assisting you. Experts do not earn a salary and thus our work is only recognized when it is "accepted" by the customer. If you continue to have questions on this topic, DO NOT leave negative feedback, just reply back to this thread. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks,

Note: When leaving feedback, please judge only my personal efforts. Do not leave negative feedback for factors outside my control; such as hardware defects, loss/lack of software or backups, or the JustAnswer website.

Please feel free to ask me a new question at any time (if you’re a subscriber, you can do so at no additional cost beyond your monthly payment). Bookmark my profile page for easy access:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry