Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I keep getting kicked off my work network from my mac, but

Customer Question

I keep getting kicked off my work network from my mac, but not my PC. this just started this week. Could this be due to my recnt software upgrade? how do I STOP THIS?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

You mentioned a recent upgrade, would you expand on that?
What kind of Mac?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just meant a software update (the auto ones I do every 2 weeks or so). I have a macbook pro
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I though maybe you had gone to Lion or something.
What version of OS X do you have?
I suggest, as a step in the right direction, repairing permissions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

10.6.8

I will try the repairing permissions

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Also try this, it may just be a glitch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm a little confused about the instruction for the glitch. Do I add ("+") a location, and then hit "-", or do I actually create a new location?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Cerate a whole new location, leave the existing alone.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tried both, but just got booted off after 5 seconds
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Ok, try this. Open System Preferences/Network, click Airport in the list on the left.
Then click Advanced, lower right corner. Locate your network name, select to highlight then click the - (minus) to delete it, click OK and Apply.
Then Open Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access, type in the name of your network to find it, right click it and select delete
Restart the MBP, then from the Airport icon delete your network and sing in.
Should fix it.
If not let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When I open the advanced window on the new application, no network is listed (even though I am currently connected to my network). So I can't do the first step

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
What new application?
You mean new location? If it is working test it, if it continues to work then leave it.
This is a known problem with MBPs and Snow Leopard, so far what I have told you is all there is.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
new location. I am still getting kicked off after 5 seconds, same as with the first location "automatic".
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Ok, then you will have to delete the whole thing as outlined.
It will show you Advanced if Airport is highlighted.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Then click the minus.
Open Keychain and get rid of it there also.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I can click on "Advanced." the problem is that no network is listed when I open it. It may help if I explain the situation more throroughly. I work at a hospital, where I do most of my work through the intranet on a desktop PC. However, I have to upload some files to an ftp site, which is blocked by my firewall. I do that by using the patient wireless system (which has no real firewalls) and my Mac laptop. I have to click on a disclaimer whenever I join the open hospital network. I uploaded files to this specific ftp site maybe 20 times previously without a problem. Today, every 5 seconds my ftp upload stops, and I reload, and it requires me to sign the disclaimer again and reconnect.

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
It is still a wireless network no different from another.
What is in the Airport drop down menu network name you are connected to when it is connected that is?
It may not be your Mac, it could be the network.
The test is using a different network, maybe at home or a different node in the hospital.
Try in the cafeteria, it will be a different node.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The network is called carewifi-that's what shows up on the airport dropdown and in the "network name" box, but nothing shows up when I click "advanced." I've tried two different floors (19 and 20). Do you think it is worth trying another floor?

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Now you know what the name is, but that doesn't help if it is not remembered in the Mac. You did say that you have to sign in and agree each time you use it so I assume that it will not automatically try connecting?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That is right. It does not automatically connect. I also took your advice and tried tow other floors with the same problem. This all started only 3 days ago.

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Try a SMC reset, then a pram reset, followed by a SafeBoot.
The SMC is different for all MBPs so I need to know the processor speed.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.
Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.
It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.
When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.
Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.
If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

Let me know if that helps at all.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The processor speed is 2.66 GHz
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
This how this is done, just follow it close.
If it should not resolve the issue then take a printout of this exchange to an Apple store, not Best Buy, and have a Genius look at it.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.
Let me know how it works.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had the best of hopes, but despite the three re-boots, the problem remains. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Take it to the Apple store, I have exhausted all I have from Apple but that doesn't mean I have all the answers.
Type in your zip code and select the closest one, make an appointment at the Genius bar, best results that way.
Also print this whole thing out, it will help them.