Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.
The following should get your iPod back up and running. However, please note, since you had not synced it previously you will lose any content on the device. There are ways to recover some of this data but you must unlock it first.
The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will re-install the operating system on the device and then re-sync user data once it is done.
Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes before attempting this:http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
* Open iTunes
* Connect the iOS device to the computer
* Turn off the iOS device (hold down the sleep/wake button on the top) until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up.
* Hold down the sleep/wake button AND the home button (on the front)
for 10 seconds
* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until
* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore
If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.
Note: When the device first enters DFU recovery mode, the screen will be black. If you see the iTunes logo on the screen then you have gone into normal restore mode rather than DFU mode.
Let me know how this works for you.