John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

MY SON FORGOT HIS PASSCODE TO HIS IPOD TOUCH...BUT WE NEVER

MY SON FORGOT HIS PASSCODE TO HIS IPOD TOUCH...BUT WE NEVER SYNCED IT W/ OUR COMPUTER BEFORE HAND. HOW DO I GET IT UNLOCKED?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

The following should get your iPod back up and running. However, please note, since you had not synced it previously you will lose any content on the device. There are ways to recover some of this data but you must unlock it first.

The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will re-install the operating system on the device and then re-sync user data once it is done.

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes before attempting this:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

* Open iTunes

* Connect the iOS device to the computer

* Turn off the iOS device (hold down the sleep/wake button on the top) until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up.

* Hold down the sleep/wake button AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

Note: When the device first enters DFU recovery mode, the screen will be black. If you see the iTunes logo on the screen then you have gone into normal restore mode rather than DFU mode.

Let me know how this works for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is restoring - does that mean we will have to repurchase the music and apps that he had on the ipod, or will it have it saved in my itunes account?
Does the iPod use the same Apple ID as the iTunes on your computer?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Great, it should then be possible to re-download the purchased content to the device without incurring any additional fees once the restore is complete.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure what has happened, but I went through and followed the steps you gave me, and it came that it was restoring the device - but now it is again asking for the passcode - but it is not finished restoring. What happened?

Does iTunes say it is still restoring but the iPod has returned to the passcode screen?

In most cases it is often a case of missed timing during the first few steps.

The following needs to be completed precisely and the screen of the iPod should be completely black during this period:
---

---

If the iPod had any sort of image on the display as you were holding the home button down, then it didn't make it into the special mode needed to get around the passcode.

If it *did* have a black screen at this point but then later failed in the middle of the procedure then you may need to disable any 3rd party security software that you are running and/or try using a different USB port.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks I will keep working at it.
You're welcome! If you have any other issues or questions, just let me know.

Otherwise, I will place the next set of steps here to recover your purchased content.
---
Open iTunes, if it isn't already.

Next, select the iTunes Store from the sidebar at the left. Sign in with the same Apple ID and Password XXXXX used to make purchases, if you are not already.

In the iTunes Store, you should see a Quick Links sidebar at the right side of the page. Look for the "Purchased" option and click it.

On the Purchased page, you will see a toggle near the top-right of the page labeled as "All | Not In My Library". Select "Not In My Library".

Under Music, select "All Songs" from the listing at the left and then click "Download All" in the bottom right.

Repeat the above for "TV Shows", "Apps", and "Books"; making the appropriate choices as applicable.

When the downloads are complete, plug in your iPod if it isn't.

Select it when it appears in the iTunes sidebar.

You should see a new menubar appear above the Summary page for the device. Go through each option and make sure the appropriate options are selected. If you need assistance on what to choose on each page, just let me know and I will walk you through each one, as needed.

The import ones are the "Music" and "Apps" pages. Make sure "Sync Music" and "Sync Apps" has a check mark and that each app you want on the iPod has a check mark next to it. After that, clicking "Apply" or "Sync" in the lower right of the iTunes window should sync over the desired content.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If it does, please click ACCEPT so I can be credited for my time assisting you. Experts do not earn a salary and thus our work is only recognized when it is "accepted" by the customer. If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this thread. I will be more than happy to work with you further even after an Accept.

Thanks,
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry