Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps

how to download contacts list from windows live mail to my

Customer Question

how to download contacts list from windows live mail to my ipad2
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to justanswer. I am Jins here to assist you. You need to sync your iPad with the windows live mail address book.

1 Connect your iPad to your computer and click its icon when it shows up in iTunes’ Source list. (Launchwindows live mail too.)

2 In the main part of the iTunes window, click the Info tab.

3 Turn on the checkbox next to “Sync contacts from” and then use the drop-down menu to choose the program whose contacts you want to copy. (Here windows live mail)

4 Click the Apply button in the lower-right corner of the iTunes window.

The iPad updates itself with the contact information stored in your address book. If you add new contacts while you have your iPad plugged in, choose File’Update iPad or click the Sync button in iTunes to manually move the new data over to your tablet.

To look up a pal on the iPad, tap the Home screen’s Contacts icon. Use the Search box or, on the Contacts list, flick to the person on the left side of the screen; take a shortcut by tapping the letter tab on the outer edge. Tap the name to see the person’s details. Here are some of things you can do now:

Change the information. Need to update an address or change a phone number? Tap the Edit button at the bottom of the contact screen.

Add a photo. If you have pictures of your contacts in your desktop contacts program, the same photos should be here on the iPad. You can also add a picture to a contact from your iPad’s Photos app. Open the contact file, tap Edit, then tap Add Photo. Find the picture you want to use. Pinch and zoom to crop it to size for the address book.

Find it on the map. Tap the address to open the Maps app and see where the place is located.

Send a message. Tap the person’s email address to open up a new pre-addressed Mail message

Pass along the information. Tap the Share Contact button on the contact’s page to attach the information as a .vcf file (the format most computer address books use) and attach it to a new message.

To delete a contact, whack it from your computer’s address book and the person will disappear from your iPad the next time you sync it to your computer. To delete a contact directly on the iPad, tap it open, tap Edit, flick to the bottom of the file, and tap the Delete Contact button.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
cannot find info tab . is this on my Ipad or on computer
On computer on iTunes window.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Within sync contacts from I only have the choice of outlook or outlook express, not windows live mail
Okay, do you have outlook or outlook express installed on your system ?

If you are using Windows Live Mail only, You need to copy your contacts to windows address book first. Then you can sync to ipad.

Before you do the following steps, in Windows Live Mail, export your contacts as a CSV file and save it where you can easily locate it.

1. Click on the little WINDOWS Ball in the lower left-hand corner of your screen (this is the same as clicking START).

2. Type WAB in the search box. The first thing that comes up SHOULD BE a file called WAB.EXE. Double-click so it opens up—it may or may not be empty. This file is NOT the same file as the windows live file so don’t worry about overwriting anything.

3. Click IMPORT at the top of the screen.

4. Select CSV, then click IMPORT again. It will ask you to find the file you want to import. Find the backup you made.

5. Once it’s done importing, you should see all your contacts.

6. Now plug in your Apple device—iphone/ipad.

7. iTunes will launch automatically. Give it a minute to completely load etc.

8. At the top of the screen you will see: SUMMARY INFO APPS MUSIC MOVIES TV SHOWS etc. etc.

9. Click on INFO

10. You will see ‘SYNC CONTACTS WITH’. Make sure there is a check in the box and that after ‘with’ you see WINDOWS CONTACTS. If you don’t see WINDOWS CONTACTS, click on the drop-down menu and select it.

11. Then click on SYNC at the bottom right-hand corner of your screen and let it run.

12. That’s it!

14. To sync another device repeat steps 6-12

Regards

Jins

POSITIVE Feedback And A BONUS Are Always Appreciated ..

PLEASE CONTACT ME BEFORE LEAVING A NEGATIVE FEEDBACK

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

SORRY, CANNOT FIND wab FILE. Went into START and SEARCH on my computer.. No WAb file came up.

Not sure about windows ball you mention.

I have made a copy of the contacts in windows live mail using the CSV format.

need more help.

Oh you are using windows XP right ? Then please click on start and then Run

Type wab in the run dialog box and press enter.

You will get open windows address book (wab)

Click on File -> Import -> Other address book

Then select Text file (Comma seperated values)

Click on import and browse to and select the csv file you saved.

Then follow the remaining steps on the previous answer.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is painful.

I got the address book as you said, went to FILE but the import/export facilities are not highlighted so I cannot activate import.

Please refer the below image and try again.

graphic

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My address book does not have "main identity " at the top and does not have all the facilities shown on your picture.

Is there any other way to get to it?

I think it is the difference of windows address book (mine) and windows live address book (yours) But there is an Import command on your tool bar. Please click on it and try to import the csv file.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is no Import command on the tool bar.

Can I not export the csv file direct to the ipad?

getting ready to give up!

You cant import a csv file directly to ipad. Please restart your computer. Press and release the F8 key continuously when system starts. You will get an advanced boot menu. Select Safe mode and press enter. Wait a little to complete the boot process. Then click on Run and type wab and press enter. Address book will open. Try to import the csv file to address book. If you can successfully install it restart normally and do the remaining steps as on my previous answers.

Regards
Jins