Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Can I connect my I-Pad2 to a new Samsung Smart TV 6900 so I

Customer Question

Can I connect my I-Pad2 to a new Samsung Smart TV 6900 so I can use th eTV speakers to listen to our music?? If so what do I need to do??
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

There are a few options, I use the Apple TV, Apple - Apple TV - Now there’s always something good on TV., connects to your iTunes account, will also connect to the iPad2 via Airplay and mirror the iPad display, show video from your computer, iPad 2 or iTunes, Netflix,Youtube and do lots more besides.

It is something that I can recommend because I use it myself. It opens lots of doors.
For the price it is very hard to beat.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure I completely understand ... do I download something called I-TV or are you suggesting buying an I-TV?? So we don't misunderstand each other I own a Samsung Smart 6900... want to connect I=Pad to it.

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
You first open the link to Apple that I sent, then you either buy the Apple TV online or at Best Buy or an Apple store.
It will do what you are attempting to do easily plus much more.
All you need to do is carefully read all documentation.
It is an easy set up but there are several steps.

It will certainly do what you are trying to do.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello, it is not that I am ignoring you ... I am not. I have had several commitments that have prevented me from trying what you have proposed. I hope to try what you suggested within the next two days. If all works well then I will accept but until then please understand.

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
No problem, I am in no hurry. Just let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Daniel, I am about ready to venture into trying your recommendation.... first I am NO rocket scientist when it comes to computers or software so if my questions seem silly they are not. Do I go to iTV on my Samsung TV or do I use my computer?? Need a little guidance here.

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Gene, assuming that you got an Apple TV then this is what you need now.
You also need iTunes 10.5.2 on the computer.
Apple - iTunes - Everything you need to be entertained. Or run Software update in the Apple menu.

Then once the Apple TV is plugged in to power and the TV do the following.
Updating the ATV software will make things much easier.

Then this is the manual.

Read it carefully and if you have any problems then please let me kno. I have an ATV and I like it. It will stream from the iPad, iTunes and an iPod plus it can mirror the iPad screen so you can play games on the big screen..
Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think you need to clarify ... I have a new Samsung Smart TV that is connected to my wireless internet in the house. When you say Apple TV if you are referring to a physical Apple TV No I do not have one. If it is software you are referring to then No not yet and that was the basis for my question do I use the wireless in my Samsung TV to load specific software to accomplish the ability to use my wife's I-pad music??

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I was not aware the TV was internet connected.
This might do th job.

I am not sure about it though, it claims to do what you want.

I am sure about the ATV.

It may turn out that the iPad and Samsung will not play nice without it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So where do I download the software you suggested, on my MacBook computer or from the TV or for that matter do I need to download it on the I-Pad as well... I need to know from which device I down load what.

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
One on the Mac, the other on the iPad.
Did you go to the website? It tells you just what to do.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I did not go to the website until I learned from which device I was to use. So we are on the same page I DO NOT have to do anything with the Samsung TV is that correct??

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
As far as I know, no.
I suggest looking the site over and reading all the info there. It will give you a good idea if it will do what you want.
That you will have to decide. Says it will bridge the gap between your computer and home theater (TV) and incorporate the iPad besides.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, we're going out for dinner now and after a glass of wine or two I'll wait until morning to venture into this unchartered waters.

More to follow tomorrow on the results.

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good, have a good time and enjoy.
Just one thing, when you do take your time and read everything, fewer mistakes that way.
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't get the darn thing to work I downloaded the software onto the Mac then onto the IPad. The IPad could not recognize the Mac and nothing worked. I read several comments about the software Plex and many people complained about the same problem I experienced or worse. Guess I am destined to accept I can't get Ipad music to our TV but that was not your issue so I will accept the answer. Sure wish I knew more about how these things work but it is what it is.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I am going to optout of this as I cannot fix this, I have done all I can.
Please stand by.