Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

why is it...i know this will be a big question but...safari

Customer Question

why is it...i know this will be a big question but...safari will run in the background on my macbook which is roughly 5 yrs old, i can do updates in itunes but thats all. when i try to open safari it always quits and the computer reads ...safari has quit unexpectantly...I cant do anything on safari becauce everytime i try to launch it...it quits unexpectantly..why?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Please tell me more about the troubled Mac.
Look in the Apple menu in 'About this Mac'.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
What you most likely need is some maintenance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have ...now that i think back i have re-installed the cd's that came with the mac but that didn't help any.. ok now... i have version 10.5.8...a 2.16 GHz Core 2 duo.....1 gb memory. Everything seems to update with no problem but i can't see the safari window come up at all.. Messenger:mac window is open on the screen...im updating itunes now (in the background but cant go on any web site at all.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
As soon as iTunes gets done updating stop all activity and repair permissions as this PDF explains, it will help everything.

Repairing Permissions

Then, using a USB connected keyboard (unless it is a laptop that has a built-in keyboard) reset the pram.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

If you have and use a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.

Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

That should get things working like they should be.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok i am now watching the computer read permisions database. i hope this will work...if it cures the problem $58 dollars will be worth every cent.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Keep me posted please, this will usually set things right but sometimes it takes a little more. In your case I think this will do it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still doing the same daniel. when i click on safari and go to my on bookmarks...1st from left to right side i see....file-edit-history-bookmarks...i click show book marks but then a window does open (like it did before) which then i could click on a bookmark...but.....the window closes on me and it reads safari has quit unexpectaly
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Ok, then lets do a SafeBoot.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.
Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.
It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.
When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.
Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
Try Safari now (sometimes the wireless will not work in SafeBoot) and see what it does.
Whatever it does restart without holding any keys.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok i"m watching the spinning wheel now.. the apple logo is on screen to.. I hope this works...Hey Daniel, when i clicked the show bookmarks before....the window would open (before it closed) but the window was and always shows up all in a gray colour..It looks nothing like what i have been used to a few years back before safari started acting up on me..Well, lets wait and see if this will cure the problem this time...spinner is sill going yet on the macbook
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Depends on what version of Safari you have. The latest version (most of Apple's new stuff) likes gray, I think it is ugly.
I will be away for a short but will be back quickly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not working yet Daniel. still same problem
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Ok, time for some more info. With Safari one, before you do anything else click on Safari and select About Safari.
Tell me the version you have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
huh? what do you mean safari one?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I meant Safari 5,1, missed the 5.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
safari 10.5.8 would it or may the problem lie in maybe ive deleted older versions of safari? I may have done that a few years back for some reason...would that be a reason for safari (the latest version) needing the older versions to run? The bookmark page is all gray though eh...I am on a macbook air now so i do know what safari looks like on newer computers..I also own the ipad...The look of the safari page on the problem computer is all gray..doesnt look right at all.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Safari does not need older versions to run but the version you now have has issues.
If possible download and install Firefox, then we will get rid of that version of Safari and get one that does work.
Drag Safari from the Applications folder to the trash.
Then in Firefox get this version of Safari.
Do that and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok sounds good but.....how can i get to where i could do downloads? i cant get onto the internet Daniel.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Do not open bookmarks, leave that alone and in the Google sear box type in Firefox, it will take you there, then download it.
Unless I am not getting all the info this will work.
You said that it crashes when you open Bookmarks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no...the whole safari shuts down....its the only way i can get a small window to open which is all gray...there is no google search box even showing...if you live close to lindsay ontaio canada i will bring the laptop to you.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
I am east of Niagara Falls, NY so that isn't going to work.
Have you deleted anything else? I ask because you say you deleted older versions of Safari.
You could try deleting the Safari plist, this can get corrupted and cause all sorts of bad behavior.
Open a Finder window and then select Column view.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Then do this.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Select Column view.
Then follow the path below to delete the Safari plist, Safari will create a new one.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Try that and then open Safari again, that may do it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
man o man...still no good...i now totally deleted safari, not from your advice but was getting rid of trash...is there any other way to put firefox on my computer now? is it possible to download to a thumb drive maybe and then import it to the problem laptop. I did try exactly what you asked me to do though 1st before deleting safari..Nice pictures to follow for instructions...Takes all hassle out of
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
You can reinstall the OS from a disk drive shared from the machine you are using now.
That will explain how.
Then you can use this utility to install just Safari from the installation disk that you should have.
This is the guide.

Pacifist PDF

Try that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i will up your dollar amount to double if you simplify this all and we get this safari up and running again.i can check mail, go to google earth which is installed on my desk top but cant do anything on safari..what do you think?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
I have given you the best steps I have. If you go slow and follow the stapes Safari will again work.