Ed
Ed, Computer Tech
Experience:  Computer repair shop partner
6518536

My I pad 2 will not connect to the internet although the wifi

My I pad 2 will not connect to the internet although the wifi says "on" and there is a check matk beside my wifi network. i have reset my ipad but with the same result. What now? Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ed replied 2 years ago.

Ed :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please reply with you name when you have entered the chat and are ready.

Customer:

Hi Ready....Stephen

Customer:

ready stephen

Customer:

ok - what do i do?

Ed :

Hi Stephen

Customer:

Hi

Ed :

do other devices connect to your wireless network and work?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

My B Berry and 2 desk tops are connected

Ed :

what version of windows or mac is on the computer you are typing to me on

Customer:

Office

Customer:

Windows

Ed :

what version of windows

Customer:

Xp?

Ed :

on the ipad press settings and then wifi

Customer:

done

Customer:

are u there?

Ed :

yes

Ed :

press little blue arrow next to your network name

Customer:

done

Ed :

do you see an ip address

Customer:

yes _ have been thru all this

Ed :

what is the ip address

Customer:

Ed - what next?

Ed :

what is the ip address

Customer:

192.168.1.101

Ed :

what is the dns

Customer:

207.164.234.129.207.164.234.193

Ed :

on xp machine click start, run and in run box type cmd and press enter

Customer:

U mean my desk top and if so will i lose you - where do i enter?

Ed :

yes on desktop. no reason to lose me

Ed :

click start

Ed :

click run

Ed :

in run box type cmd and press enter

Customer:

done

Ed :

type ipconfig and tell me the ip address

Customer:

where?

Customer:

should i do the first step again?

Ed :

did you get a big black box after the first step

Ed :

you have to type the ipconfig in the big black box

Customer:

willtry again

Customer:

192.168.2.10

Ed :

how many wireless routers do you have

Customer:

1

Ed :

problem is your computer is connected to a different router than your ipad is

Ed :

on ipad press the forget this network at the top

Customer:

so why has it worked fine ever since i got my i pad in march?

Ed :

we are going to connect to your network. press the forget network button

Ed :

what is the name of the network the ipad is connected to

Customer:

where?

Ed :

have you messed with the ipad or is it still at the screen with the ip address

Customer:

linksys

Customer:

It goe s black but I will return

Ed :

is your router a linksys

Customer:

back now to IP

Ed :

what is the network name at the top

Customer:

Yes- route is a Linksys

Customer:

SL

Ed :

press forget this network

Customer:

ok

Ed :

it is very odd you have a linksys router but it is setup with the 192.168.2 address. That is not normal

Customer:

Lost me - I am not technical

Ed :

press the back arrow that says wifi networks on the ipad

Customer:

okay

Ed :

under choose a network how many networks are listed

Customer:

3 SL, Stephen, and other

Ed :

no linksys which you were just connected to

Customer:

???

Ed :

You just told me the network name you were connected to was linksys. but now you say that network doesn't even show. Thats ok. Im just verifying that

Ed :

press the stephen network

Ed :

it should prompt for password, enter your password

Customer:

asks for a pass word _ will try some old ones _ used this a long time ago and trie dit before calling u but willty again now

Ed :

but you were connected to the wrong network. you were connected to linksys which is not your network. maybe a neighbors

Customer:

accepted my pass word but chooose a network still searching int the little circle

Ed :

thats ok

Ed :

press home button and open safari and see if you have internet

Customer:

Confused

Ed :

it always seraches for networks even when connected. ignore that and just see if you have internet

Customer:

yes - your a genius - was i on the wrong network. SL instead of stephen?

Ed :

you told me you were connected to linksys but yes it was the wrong network

Customer:

should I ger rid of sl not to repeat the problem? May have switched while was away usin another network

Ed :

we forgot the network you were connected to so your good there. You cannot remove networks from the choose a network screen. It just shows networks in the area but won't automatically connect to them unless you have connected previously.

Customer:

okay - guess we are done - thanks very much.

Ed :

you are welcome. Please click Accept and have a great day.

Ed, Computer Tech
Experience: Computer repair shop partner