David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified

My iPhoto will not open a library that was housed on an external

My iPhoto will not open a library that was housed on an external drive. It seems to be there, but empty (which I know it is not).
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is David.

Please click once on the iPhoto Library on the external hard drive. Then click File -> Get Info.

What does it say the size if the iPhoto Library is?

Please get back to me and I will help you some more.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is saying zero bytes - but I know that before when I checked it said there was something in there. Yesterday, when downloading 1000 photos from my photo chip the library crashed (that is what started this problem). Now - when trying to go back into the library or the overall drive it is very, very, very slow to open anything and for me to get any information out.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

I'm afraid if it says zero bytes there is nothing in it, it has been damaged and cannot be repaired. Do you have a back up anywhere else of the photos? Are they still on memory card, or on the internal hard drive? Did you back up any to blank discs or another external hard drive? Did you put any of them online?

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, as i said - the disk is very slow and when checking before it did have something in that library for used memory. Right now, the color wheel is still clocking on the get info. Could it be that something could be salvaged front the library somehow even if the database is corrupted? I guess I was expecting an action to take, not that nothing can be done.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

You can try repair the external drive with Disk Utility. Open /Applications/Utilities/ and open Disk Utility. Select the external drive and click Repair Disk. When it finishes you can check the size again, but I don't think there will be any change. The only thing you can really depend on is another copy of the library if you have one.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are right - it is an external hard drive issue - not iPhoto (perhaps) so, I am trying to repair and it will not let me. My question is - If I pull everything off of that drive and try to restore it on another drive - will that work? If I copy to another functioning hard drive?
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

There is a slim chance, but worth trying. Begin with just the iPhoto library. It says zero already, so be aware it is a slight chance.

Let me know how it goes,

Kind regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified