Josh, Mac Support
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support

Hi. I have an external hard drive that i store my pictures

Hi. I have an external hard drive that i store my pictures on. I would like to put a copy of the pictures on another hard drive to store them for security. i plan to put that hard drive in another location in case of fire or some other tradgedy. that way i would be able to preserve the photos. How would i go about doing this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you,

I would recommend you keep the files through an online storage company since you already have them backed up onto a hard drive OR back them up to a CD/DVD.

You can use - - (This is a free service)

If you do wish to use another external hard drive then you can connect the external hard drive and then select the photos, copy the photos and paste them onto the new hard drive
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have about 250,000 pictures so i was afraid the on line storage costs would be high.
I need more direction on how to connect the new hard drive and transfer the pictures.
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.

Step 0. Connect your external hard drive to your Mac.

Step 1. Click on Go -> Utilities; or press the Shift + Command + U shortcut key:

Step 2. Find Disk Utility and double click on it:

Step 3. Select your external hard drive on the left hand side of Disk Utility:

Step 4. Choose the Erase tab on the right hand side of the screen, then choose the Volume Format you want. If you are using Macs only, then choosing Mac OS Extended (Journaled) would be good. If you got PCs around or you want PCs to be able to connect to your external hard drive, then the MS-DOS(FAT) is the one you want. (it formats the hard drive to FAT32).

Step 5. Click on the Erase button to format the hard drive. After that, you should be able to connect your new external hard drive to your Mac and being able to read and write data to it

Once that is complete then please highlight all of your photos then press Command key and C together to copy the photos.

Go to the external hard drive and press Command Key and V together to paste the files onto your new hard drive