Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Help -- I broke the 2nd iBook trying to fix the first... Okay,

Customer Question

Help -- I broke the 2nd iBook trying to fix the first...

Okay, iBook G4, serial number ending in R73 was the victim of a hit-n-run by Mom's vacuum cleaner. Screen cracked. Ordered used screen off eBay. Spent 9 hrs following dx from iFixIt to install screen. Used all the proper tools but had to re-use yellow tape. Became stymied by the re-routing of wires through the clutch assembly. Opened up a 2nd laptop for guidance (virtually identical iBook G4, serial number ending in R12).

Now, neither of them works!

As for the R73 & new screen, it's black as pitch. At least the cracked screen looked somewhat like the familiar blue desktop. Now, nada. No lights, nothing.

The R12's screen is now solid white. I notice that the clutch assy looks cock-eyed, like the screw isn't in all the way. Did I crush a cable?

Now, the kid's Christmas laptops don't work & they're collecting dust at my house. There are 3 more iBooks over there (they have 5 kids) but I'm afraid to open up any of them.

I need a genius and a Christmas miracle! Any takers?

Holly
Category: Mac
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I'm still waiting for an answer, but I'm leaning toward cancelling the request. if you cancel the request, will the $42 be refunded?

Thanks,

/H.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please just refund my money.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right Expert. Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that.