Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products

I have now had several occasions where the "spinning wheel"

I have now had several occasions where the "spinning wheel" comes up while I'm working in a WORD doc, and I'm unable to get it unfrozen. I did have a lot of docs open (but before when it happened, i only had 1 or 2 open). I was able to quit WORD using the QUIT function, but it's frustrating and scary. I had saved the doc earlier and will now attempt recovery of the most recent changes I had made. How do I avoid this problem in the future? I just bought my Mac Pro a couple of months ago, along w/ MS Office.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

Which model Mac do you have and what version of OS X is it running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MacBook Pro - 13-inch, Late 2011

Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)
Thank you for your reply.

NOTE: Make sure your MacBook Pro has an Internet connection before proceeding.

1) Restart your Mac while holing down the LEFT Shift key until you see the Apple appear, then release. This will boot your Mac into Safe Mode. It may take up to 20 minutes to reach the desktop. Please be patient while various clean-up tasks are running. After you see the desktop restart you Mac normally.

2) Click on the Apple in the menu bar and select "Software Updates". Download and install ALL updates. Run this twice.

3) Open Finder and go to Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility and Run Disk Utility. Locate your internal hard drive (Macintosh HD) and highlight. Make sure you’re in the First Aid tab then run Verify. If your disk is "OK", run Repair Disk Permissions.

4) If you have less than 10% free disk space, I would recommend that you delete or move some files off of your hard drive to free up as much space as possible. Afterwords, empty the Trash.

5) Clean up your desktop by organizing files and programs into folders and relocate them off of the desktop as much as possible.

Reply back if you're still experiencing slowness with your MacBook Pro.

Only click "Accept" if this has taken care of the issue.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had difficulty understanding Step 1 of your answer (the sequence and what to do when). I looked on-line for information to help me understand your Step 1 instructions - and found some clarification. The remaining steps of your answer were very clear, and I was able to follow them. There were no new software updates; I ran that twice. I then followed Step 3. A number of messages came up in the window as the Disk Utility was running- have no clue what those meant. But I did both the Verify and Repair Disk Permissions processes, and those ended successfully. According to the information at the bottom of that screen, I am only using 10% of my available disk space, so I don't think that is the problem.
I still don't know what was behind the problem; nor if what I did will prevent or reduce the likelihood of recurrence. Time will tell.
I appreciate your help, and it was worth the $58 to get my question answered promptly - although I had no idea when I clicked on the link that it was a paid service. I'll call Apple directly next time under my warranty. It's all a learning, especially being new to Apple. Thanks again for your help. This is just feedback, and I will also click "accept" after I send this email. Marci
Fine business Marci.

I'm glad I could help. Also, check the details of your warranty. IF you did not purchase Apple Care, the labor part is 90 days only.

Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I do have Apple Care - so I was my mistake not turning to them first. But I DO appreciate the help! Thanks again. Marci
Thank you again!