Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products

Im having trouble with Keychain....often get request for a

I'm having trouble with Keychain....often get request for a password XXXXX PrivateEncryptedDatak keychain. Can't find it anywhere. Then I screwed up and deleted the login keychain and now I can't add it back, or do anything.

HELP!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

Try this first-

Create a New Keychain. Please follow the steps below:

Open Finder: Go to - Applications>Utilities>Keychain Access - Launch the Keychain Access App, go to click on "File" in the menu bar and select "New Keychain", click on Create.

Reply back if you have any other questions.

Click "Accept" if I have answered your question.

Thank you,

MT
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience: 7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried that....get "an error has occurred when creating a new keychian".
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

Is the sign-on account you are using an Administrator?

Also, what version OS X are you using?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe it's an Administrator. I'm using OS 10.6.8
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

Go to: XXXXX XXXXX remove the keychain with your username.

Restart your Mac.

Test and reply back with the results please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
By your_user you mean my user name, yes? The only keychain there is System.keychain. Should I remove that? If so, how?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Create a new Admin account on this Mac.

Log on with this account and test the Keychain functionality.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Seems to be ok now. Can I ask one more question? I now need to transfer all files from old user to new user?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.

We have identified the Keychain is related to the user account.

Before you transfer any files, let's see if we can fix the issue.

Log back into the original user account and do the following:

-With Utilities folder open, select and open Keychain Access.

-Go to the File menu and select Delete Keychain "System." The "System" will most likely be your own username listing your first initial and last name.
File Menu choosing to delete the system keychain

-This window will pop up. Click on Delete References and Files.
Delete Keychain Options

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Delete System Keychain is greyed out.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Try this:

In Keychain Access Utility:

Go to Edit>Keychain List - Use the Show and select Max OS X System

Highlight System and then click on the ( - ) on the bottom.

Quit Keychain Access and test.

Reply back with your results please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did that, but when trying to access Google Music Manager, I again get PrivateEncryptedDatak keychain password XXXXX No such thing on the computer, I've looked.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.

In Keychain Access Utility, do you see PrivateEncryptedDatak keychain (left window)?

If so delete it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Under view, do you see Unhide (keychains)? If so unhide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope....says Hide Keychains. This is a stealth keychain. I've seen blogs on this, with a number of different answer...including something about uninstalling Adobe Air. Should I try that?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
you may need to do that. Adobe Air is not used too much these days.

Try this first:

-Click on Keychain Access in the menu bar and select Preferences

-Make sure you're in the General tab and then click on "Reset My Default Keychain"

-Enter your Admin password, if requested. Close Keychain Access Utility and restart your Mac.

-Test

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
"Unable to update Library/Keychains Unable to obtain authorization for this operation.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,

Try this next:

Go to ~/Library/Preferences/
Delete the "com.apple.security.plist" file
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done......
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And maybe this will help.....I ran Keychain First Aid (before deleting the file you just mentioned, and got the attached.

Attachment: 2012-01-01_163325_password_verify.docx

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Did you restart your Mac?

Then, if it's still not working, create a New Keychain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I needed to go out.....I will restart now and try to create a new one.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Restarted.....couldn't create a new keychain....."an error occurred when creating a new keychain".
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.

Please proceed with an Archive and Install. I would strongly suggest backing up your Mac first.

Here's a link to the document:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710?viewlocale=en_US
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would it be safer and less trouble to move files to the other user I created?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Actually, I am leaving that for the last resort. It's a very tricky operation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I should back up to an external hard drive, yes? And then try the Archive and install?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Yes.

You can use TimeMachine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I will back up, and follow directions in the document. I'll get back to you when done.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Fine business.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, I re-installed the OS (there wasn't an option for "Archive and Install"). Nothing has changed (I re-installed the OS 6 updates also).
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
I'm a bit surprised. This issue is very invasive.

Here's the tutorial to copy over the data from one account to another:

http://pondini.org/OSX/Transfer.html

Let me know how that goes for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. But I need dinner first. How late are you there? If you're leaving soon, we can continue tomorrow?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
No worries. I'm here all day.

Thank you for your consideration.

Enjoy your dinner. :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh, brother. I copied a few folders to the Shared folder, but it's now saying I need more disk space. Should I just go ahead and delete the files from the original user that I've already copied?

And I tried "moving" the data (pictures, music) by holding down the command key while dragging and dropping, but it would only copy, not move.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
You can do that.

I'm hopeful you found time to do the back-up.

If you run into too many issues, you could do a clean install and then use migration assistant to bring back your content/data.

Here's a link to Apple Support on how to use migration assistant:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413

Of course, you will need to also reinstall any applications.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I deleted a bunch of files....this process could take many hours, so I expect you will need to sleep at some point. When in the AM will you be answering:?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your consideration.

I will be back online approx 7am PST.

You can always reply back anytime, and I will see your response when I come online.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. Happy New Year!
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!

Happy New Year!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not quite yet.....if you're still there, I moved many files to the Shared folder, but they don't appear there when I log in as the new user. Arrrrrrgh!!!!!
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
As I cannot "see" exactly what you have done. Review the transferring file document again please.

As I mentioned before, this procedure is painstaking and meticulous.

If you feel that it's not working out, then I would proceed with a fresh installation of OS X.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Clean Install done, I transferred everything from external drive, all OK except we're back at square one.
Should I just live with this?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
This is very strange.

You formatted the drive and did a new install of Snow Leopard?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I then transferred everything from the backup drive....maybe I should have transferred files selectively from the external drive?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
What seemed to be the issue, we identified to be indigenous to a User Account. When you created a new user account the issue went away, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. But I had trouble transferring files to the new user. I copied everything to the Shared folder, but when I switched users and looked in the shared folder, music, etc. wasn't there! Also, some of the folders under "Shared" had a red circle with a line across it, and couldn't be accessed because I need "permission".
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
What applications did you reinstall after the Snow Leopard clean installation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just connected the backup drive and transferred everything.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
I think it wrote over the Keychain file/data.

I would recommend that you repeat the clean installation of Snow Leopard then do a one-by one installation of each application (copying is unreliable as when installing an application it writes data to certain registers and files that will not be accomplished by copying).

After the above is complete, use Migration Assistant to bring your data back to your Mac.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When you say install each application, do you mean take the original CDs and install from there? And when using migration assistant, can you just transfer music, pictures, etc?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Yes and Yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. Till later.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I must have screwed something up....when copying from external disk the documents and pictures disappeared and don't seem to be anywhere....music, somehow made it. I'm working on downloading the pictures from Picasa Web, but documents seem to be
gone...luckily I'm not a writer. When using migration assistant the only disk to appear was the. Mac HD. And. so I chose that one and selected music pictures and documents and transferred. Keychain Access only has one item....Apple ID password...Think that's good. Any way, I need to go out for th e afternoon. I'll touch base tonite.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the update.

Looks like you've got the issue solved.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just so I know....when I transferred files to the Mac from the external drive with Migration assistant, and the only drive that appeared was the Mac HD, was that normal? And since I then transferred (I thought) the pictures and documents, was that why the files were lost?

Promise, last question. And thanks so much for your help.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Give Migration Assistant another try.

If that does not work, you can also try a manual transfer (open two finder windows for less confusion). Just be careful not to overwrite any application files and/or other files already on your Mac hard drive.

Also, if you have not already, go ahead and implement TimeMachine. This will allow for much faster system recovery in the future.

And, I thank you!

Happy New Year too!

MT