Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

why does some of my video files copied from a Microsoft computer

Customer Question

why does some of my video files copied from a Microsoft computer not run on my mac?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi My name is Ashik. I hope i can help you.

What is the format of those videos ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea i´m afraid. The videos are shot in 2006-2008 on my Panasonic SDR-H20 HDD camcorder
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You can use the VLC Player to play any videos. Dowload and install it from here : http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Open VLC Player and open your Videos in it. Let me know if that didn't worked. Only click Accept after we solved the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
404 error:page not found?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great,thanks the link worked. now where do i find the information on my computer to know which version i need?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac, this should tell you the version number.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mine states 10.6.8 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Download the 32/64 Intel Mac version.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok downloaded. The movies seem to be AVI Movies, if this helps.
I now have the vlc-1.1.12 on the desktop. how do i proceed?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Double click on it and follow the onscreen instructions to install VLC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, it is installed already.
when i go to iphoto to play the video files, nothing happens
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Are the videos are in iPhoto ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, all my foto and video files got copied into iphoto when my old laptop died.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
What really happens when you play the videos in iPhoto ?

Just click and drag any video from iPhoto to desktop and the video will be copied to desktop. Then play it in VLC.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nothing happens when i click on the video file in iphoto to play it. should the video files be stored in an other location to iphoto?
Dragging the video from iphoto does not work, the file just pops back into iphoto immediately when i release it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
The videos should be saved in the iPhoto Library. You can find the iPhoto Library in your pictures folder. Goto Pictures folder, right click on the iPhoto Library and select Show Package Contents. This will open the Library contents in a Finder window. Can you see your videos in any of the folders in there ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the videos are in the library with the photos. Example : on the 20th April 2007 i have 5 photos, out of which 3 are actually videos. However when i click on the ìmage`of the video file nothing happens. It appears that the computer thinks the video files are photos and not videos?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Can you play those with VLC ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do i do this?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Copy them to your desktop. Open your VLC, click File menu and select Open. Then select the videos.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is the response to a copy paste effort onto the desktop:
the items on the clipboard can´t be pasted to this location
one or more of the items may have been deleted or are no longer available
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Can you redownload the videos from your camcorder again to iPhoto and play them again ?

It seems like the videos are corrupted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the videos have been deleted from the camcorder long ago, at the time they got saved to the now dead laptop. is there any way of retrieving these?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
What is the size of the video files ? In Finder, right click on the video and select Get Info
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it does not reveal size information. i only get photo place and description?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Can you drag the video from there to desktop ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, the dragging does not work.
I found the size of the videos: mostly 3-4MG
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Select the video file in Finder, click on Get Info. In Get Info, click on Open With option. In Open With, select VLC Player and click OK. Let me know if that didn't worked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i can select vlc player under devices but not open it.
selecting the vlc gives me 2 folders; Applications and Goodies. I also get an rtf file and an image of a cone with VLC below.
how do i open the vlc player?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Did you installed VLC PLayer ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Did you installed VLC PLayer ?, not just download it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
vlc 1.1.12 is downloaded and opened. installation separate from this?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No, in VLC click on File and select Option. Can you locate and select the video files from here ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still no luck. when opened i get a playlist and a media library, both of which are empty. under File i have no Option. what now?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Download and install this plugin Perian : http://perian.org/

Restart your Mac and then try to play again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, got the Perian installed. When attempting to view my videos, is the perian supposed to automatically kick in and open the video files or am i expected to do something further?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Perian will automatically open the video in Quicktime. Doesn't it worked ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Also, download the a sample AVI video from here : http://www.mediafire.com/?kvthjw2humi

Can you play this video ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my videos do not open in quicktime, but the Shakira video plays ok
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Then there is no problem with your Mac. I think your videos are corrupted. I'm sorry, there is no way to recover the corrupted videos.