Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
15873684

Why has my MacBook Pro quit working with HP Printers? OS is

Customer Question

Why has my MacBook Pro quit working with HP Printers? OS is 10.6.8. HP Printer 2700 Series was working until about 2 weeks ago. None of my other HP printers will work with this computer either, but they will work with my IMac and a Sony PC. What changed? How do I fix it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Is this printer connected to a network or USB?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The printer is connected through a WiFi network. It always has been. It worked via the network before. I have tried rebooting the printer and reconnection the network. Further, I have connected the MacBook to another HP printer and it will not work with that printer either. I connected the MacBook to a Lexmark printer via a USB cable and the Lexmark printer works with it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Forgot to mention that the HP printer works with my Sony PC Laptop via the WiFi network.

ED
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
The following will remove all printers from your computer so you will have to re-add them.

If you click on the Apple in the top left and choose System Preferences.

Then choose Print & Fax.

Press ctrl on your keyboard and click anywhere under printers. Click on Reset Printing System.

Restart your computer

Go back into the Print & Fax Preference

Click on the plus sign and add your printer.

Try to print. Let me know if this works.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did as you suggested and the problem still exist. The MacBook normally is wirelessly connected to an HP 2710 printer. That connection is not working.

However, the HP 2710 printer is also connected to my IMac desktop wirelessly. That connection works and I can print documents from the IMac on the HP 2710. This also holds true for the HP2710 and my Sony PC Laptop.

The MacBook detects the HP 2710 wirelessly directly but it also detects it via my IMac. If I use the IMac connection, the HP 2710 will print from the MacBook, but only if the IMac is turned on.

Also, after "reseting" the printers on MacBook, it finds drivers to install the HP 2710, but it still does not work. If I reset the MacBook and install the HP 2710 from the origonal Installation Disk, the installation program locks up and does not complete Printer Setup.
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Delete your printer again.

Please download and install the driver software here

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL30740/mp-76195-1/HP_Installer_Inkjet_Full_Group09_10.3.dmg

Restart your computer and re-add printer again.

Let me know if this works
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did exactly as you said. During the installation process, I got an error message that said that some of the printer components are missing. I was given the option to proceed but no other alternative. Installation was completed and a window said that the Installation was successful.

When I tried to print a document, the document went through to the printer, but the printer did not print. Looking at the Print Que says that there was an Error printing that file.

This is exactly what I was getting when we started this journey.

ED
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You obviously have no clue how to help me. Please refund my $58 and let's give up.

Ed Acklin
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
thanks Ed. We only get paid if you click on accept so I am working for free. Please email support at justanswer.com for you money back
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You may not get paid until I Accept, but my Mastercard has been charged $58. I want that refunded to my card immediately.

Ed Acklin