Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Mac Genius
Experience:  Mac/iOS Repair Business Owner & CIS Degree

I tried installing updates on iphone3gs, phone froze, I turned

I tried installing updates on iphone3gs, phone froze, I turned it off, all that would come up was apple logo. Tried recovery, all I have is iTunes and USB screen.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

Is this an AT&T 3GS or was it unlocked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what that means. It's an iPhone 3GS, through ATT
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
You will need to do a DFU restore to get your device back to an usable state.

How to Perform a DFU restore (which is significantly different from a standard restore):

First, with your iPhone is plugged in to your computer, hold the Home and Power until your iPhone powers down, continue holding Home and Power for a full 4 seconds.

If you are having trouble with this, please refer to the video below for assistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofpinyGlQ8I

Release the Power while still holding the Home key until iTunes tells you the iPhone is in recovery (your iPhone screen will be black, but it is on) and then doing the restore to latest firmware.

After the restore, when prompted, do not select Restore from Backup. Select Setup Up A New iPhone.

After the restore, you will need to resync all your apps/music to your iPhone.

Feel free to ask any questions, as I am here to assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how long til itunes tells me its in recovery? all i get is the itunes and usb logo screen

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
You should have nothing on your iPhone (should be a black screen).

Please try the procedure above again. Reference the video link for timing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

iTunes is not giving me a recovery screen. Now, the screen is just black.

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
Unplug the USB port from the computer side and plug it in to another USB port.

Tell me if the recovery prompt appears or not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't even get the apple logo to appear now.
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 2 years ago.
Hold the Power and Home buttons down for 10 seconds, then release both. Wait 5 seconds and hold the Power until you see the Apple logo and then release.

From there wait until you see the iTunes/USB arrow screen.

Tell me if you get a message on iTunes or not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok! Got it.

Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Press Restore and all the process to complete.

Mr. Clark, Mac Genius
Experience: Mac/iOS Repair Business Owner & CIS Degree
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you.