Frederick S., Mac Specialist
Experience:  Worked with Mac OS X for two years as a support technician.

downloaded a program called playitall supposedly needed to

Customer Question

downloaded a program called playitall supposedly needed to play vintage tv shows from a link a friend sent me.

this has caused all program shortcuts and .exe files to have added a .lnk to the file name and nothing is opening not even the control panel.

it asks me if i want to let windows search the web and then gves me a bunch of sponsored options to open .exe files.

once bitten twice shy, i am reluctant to click on any of those links.

what shall i do? i am using xp on a parallels desktop on a macbook air.
Category: Mac
Expert:  ehabtutor replied 2 years ago.

welcome to just answer.

It would be my pleasure to help you

.lnk file associastion is a virus infection that causes the all files on your pc to do what you can see.

you need to run and anti-virus to remove this infection from your windows installation.

i can recommend some, such as notron antivirus and kaspersky.

Thanks for hitting the accept button if this helps.
If you need any further information, just ask

regards,
ehab tutor

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried to download and install avast antivirus but it won't let me -- help!
Expert:  ehabtutor replied 2 years ago.
In this case you need to scan the partition where your windows installation reside, from another machine/laptop through a network connection.

you need to share this drive and scan it accross the network from another machine with the antivirus installed on it

regards,
ehab tutor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. how do i find what this drive is called? and then how do i share it??

i have a small acer netbook which has avast and ti sees the macbook air but cannot go in to it.
Expert:  ehabtutor replied 2 years ago.
Apologies.

I will have to go now, so i will opt out so other experts can help you

regards,
ehab tutor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
need you to read the string, briefly i have a .lnk virus on the xp side of mymacbook air. it won't let me install an antivirus so to scan from another laptop over the wireless network i don't know how to share the partition / drive where xp is located.

help!
Expert:  Frederick S. replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name isXXXXX look forward to assisting you and providing you with the information you need. Press CTRL + D to bookmark this page.

Please go to the following web site on the XP side:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Click the EXE File association fix link

Then open that downloaded file and double-click on the xp_exe_fix registry file and click "Yes" to add it to the registry.

Then restart XP and see if that helps; thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks for the advise, error msg as in other cases, windows cannot open this file:

xp_exe_fix.reg

sue web service to find apprprt prom

select program form list

??
You're not able to open .reg files, either?

That's not good.

If you can, please restart the XP install and tap F8 repeatedly until you get to Boot Options

Select Safe Mode with Networking with your arrow keys and press [ENTER]

When prompted to perform a system restore, select Yes and proceed with the restore; thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will that not mean total loss of all installed programs and data?

can you tell me how to find and share the drive / partition where xp is located so i can try to scan it?
"Total loss"? No. It reverts any system settings. You're thinking of a FACTORY restore, not a system restore, which simply undos system settings changed beyond the date you pick.
And there's no need to scan anything - your system is not infected.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
6 or 7 attempts to get to safe mode have not worked. xp starts and immediately gives error msgs saying it cannot orm share point workspace , windows search, quick book update agent all with the extn, .lnk

looks like i am gong to have to call in my local it guy - unless you want one more try to suggest something that works.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
please follow the thread
Personally I would Reinstall windows with that many problems.