James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert

HI I have been unable to send emails from my hotmail account

Customer Question

HI I have been unable to send emails from my hotmail account for the last few days I get an error message saying 'unable to send mail, connection to the outgoing server xxxxxxxx failed' I am not sure how to go about connecting to alternative mail servers, I have an iPad not 3G.
Many thanks
Sarah
Category: Mac
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.

nick821702 :

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer.com.

I would love to assist you with your Mac issues. Please let me know if you have any questions.

nick821702 :

What is your email provider?

nick821702 :

I cannot see your email since it is filtered by JustAnswer

Customer : Hi its Hotmail
Customer : Regards
Customer : Sarah
nick821702 :

Great!

nick821702 :

Have you tried to login into hotmail website and try to send an email. just to test if it works.

Customer : No will that now and get back to you
nick821702 :

sure please test it

Customer : That worked fine now what?
nick821702 :

ok

nick821702 :

please go to your ipad

nick821702 :

Go to Settings->Mail

Customer : Yep on it now, I have 13 messages backed up in the out box that just won't send
nick821702 :

click on the hotmail

nick821702 :

actually go to accounts

nick821702 :

go to hotmail settings

nick821702 :

do you see the configurations?

nick821702 :

for outgoing mail?

Customer : Yes that's where I get stuck because I don't know how to set up an alternative account
nick821702 :

no problem

nick821702 :

please use these settings

nick821702 :

SMTP Server: smtp.live.com (Port: 25)

nick821702 :

if it still doesn't work

nick821702 :

and one more thing

nick821702 :

if you get your emails on ipad

nick821702 :

do they still exist on your hotmail account on hotmail.com?

nick821702 :

just want to make sure

Customer : Hi these are the settings I already had apart from the port number being 525 I think, I have changed the port number to 25. I can send and receive emails through the web, but not through my hotmail account set up on my iPad, I have been using this for over a year with no problems until a few days ago.
nick821702 :

We now need try to delete your hotmail account on ipad

nick821702 :

however, I need to confirm that you do have all your emails on the website

Customer : Ok I'll check that and get back to you first
nick821702 :

thanks!

Customer : Hi yes all emails are there if I check on my lap top
nick821702 :

Great!

nick821702 :

on your ipad

nick821702 :

go to Mail then Accounts and delete the Hotmail account

nick821702 :

after that try to re-create it

nick821702 :

Please let me know if you need a setup guide.

nick821702 :

Let me know if you run into issues

Customer : Hi deleted the accounted set it up, all fine went to send a test email and got the same message as before saying 'unable to send mail ......
nick821702 :

hmm

nick821702 :

delete the hotmail account again and follow this guide

nick821702 :

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/set-hotmail-ipad-iphone-ipod-touch-pop3

Customer : Page not found??
nick821702 :

nick821702 :

hmm

nick821702 :

I can access on both computers

nick821702 :

let me copy and paste it

nick821702 :

Tap on Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account > Other > Add Mail Account

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]134.5679012345679[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Enter Name, Hotmail ID (your Windows Live ID), Hotmail password XXX give some name like eg. LivePOP3. Click Next, it’ll start Verifying. (In case if you get an error message saying you need to be a Windows Live Hotmail Plus Subscriber, press “OK” to ignore the message.)

Click on Save and your account will be automatically configured. If for some reason it does not auto populate the server information, please use the following server settings:

Pop3 Server: pop3.live.com (Port: 995)
SMTP Server: smtp.live.com (Port: 25)

nick821702 :

nick821702 :

Advanced Settings:
Incoming Uses SSL: On
Outgoing Uses SSL: On
Authentication: Password
Delete from Server: When removed from inbox

Once everything is OK, just go to the Mail app from Home Screen and start downloading your pop3 messages. Please note that it may take some time for the first download of messages from POP3 servers.

Customer : I am in windows club and searched for setting up hotmail accounts on iPads and have step by step instructions it says to go through Microsoft exchange Rather than 'other' account which I didn't do before should I try that?
nick821702 :

yeah

nick821702 :

try that

nick821702 :

I did that with my Hotmail account as well

nick821702 :

any luck?

Customer : Did all that sent test email and got a different error message but one that still says 'Cannot send mail an error occurred whilst delivering this message'. I wonder if i may have a virus since a number of emails I tried to send to my partner ended up not getting through due to a virus, not sure how to clean up my iPad with that.
nick821702 :

you can try antivirus apps. There are some free ones

nick821702 :

Please try and let me know.

Customer : Only found 2 and neither sound good but I'll try mcafee
Customer : Very un helpfu
Customer : App
Customer : Not sure what to do with it..any other suggestions? Haven't resolved this and getting tired and need to eat......
nick821702 :

sure

nick821702 :

let me opt-out

nick821702 :

see if anyone else can help you

Customer : Thanks
nick821702 :

no problem

nick821702 :

I found this solution.

* Tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars
* Click on the pop account you are having issues with
* Click SMTP under "Outgoing Mail Server"
* Set the Primary Server as your Pop account.
* Put in your username and password XXXXX it said optional
* Turn SSL OFF. Set Authentication to password. Set Port to 25.

nick821702 :

So when you have time, delete hotmail account and re-create the original way you did that worked. Then go to settings and change those.

nick821702 :

Please let me know if it works for you.

Customer : I have had no solution to this yet
nick821702 :

So that setting I sent 2 hours ago didn't help?

nick821702 :

It's not a problem. I am asking my colleagues to help you ok?

Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Hi, do you still need help?