i-cubed
i-cubed, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I've been a Mac user and admin since 2004 and a PC consultant since 1998. help.i-cubed.net
56033340

Outlook office 2011 not connecting to exchange server

My Microsoft Outlook office 2011: for mac is not connecting to my exchange server. It worked when I installed, and stopped the next morning, spend 3 hours trying to solve the issue, and even ended up uninstalling, the program twice. On my second re-installion, it started working. All was well, until this morning, when once again, it stopped connection. Clearly the issue is with Microsoft office, and there must be a setting somewhere, but I've tried everything to no avail.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mac OS X version 10.6.8
Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Verified Disk, and it says it appears OK.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Repair Permissions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yup, did that, Permission complete.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
If you reinstalled Office did you go to help Check for Updates after?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yup, clicked on Help at top, and then clicked on check for updates. Updates all done
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Have you made suere there is no problem with your account or server from your IT dept?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yup, I'm actually working directly for the Outlook web site now.

The mystery is the fact that I have outlook installed on 3 separate Mac's in the office and everyone is able to work without any problems. I'm the only one who's not capable of working with outlook.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I would delete the account and set it up again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Went to tools, clicked on Accounts. Selected the account, and the minus(-) sign. Account has been deleted and setup again, still nothing.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Don't know then sorry. I'll opt out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, does that mean someone else is gonna try to help?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
It is open to other experts yes, have you asked your IT people... do they have any insight? Have you turned off Firewall and virus/security software?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They're all clueless, I thinkI'm a better IT guy than they are LOL...... but you just mentioned something that was overlooked. How do I check the firewall???
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
System Preferences / Security
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope, didn't help. Would having Mac: office 2008 still installed impede on anything?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
It should not. Was the Firewall off? Do you have any virus/security software installed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it was on, and Outlook was not in the list of items that are allowed incoming connections, so I added it, but it didn't help.

No, no virus/security software installed.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Turn it off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, turned off, still nothing
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Nothing like you get no mail and you can’t send either right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I look at accounts, it shows my account with a small yellow dot next to it instead of what should be a green dot. So I guess this simply means I'm not connecting to the server somehow.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
in outlook 2011, the place where you type your server name, make sure you put this at the end: EWS/Exchange.asmx

so if your domain is example.com, you would type the whole domain as follows: https://example.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx

also for directory service, put in your active directory ip or name.

and in regards XXXXX XXXXX to type for username and password, i have enabled my exchange so that it would handle just the 1st part of the username. but yours maybe different. try both.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, didn't solve the issue, still the same problem.

When the issue began, my account had connected, so clearly, there was an account, so when I would send something, it would give me a error lo 19992, but now if I try to send something it gives me error 17997.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok I give up good luck.
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Expert with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for an Expert or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm still waiting for answer
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  i-cubed replied 2 years ago.
Hello - though I do not run an Exchange server, I found this post that you may want to forward to your IT department and have them make an adjustment on the Exchange server - http://dryerr.wordpress.com/2010/11/10/outlook-2011-mac-with-exchange-2010-problems/ This may also offer some insight - http://www.officeformachelp.com/2011/01/exchange-autodiscover-workaround-for-advanced-settings/ Good luck with this and ACCEPT if this helps you.
i-cubed, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: I've been a Mac user and admin since 2004 and a PC consultant since 1998. help.i-cubed.net
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, this solution you presented, didn't do much, as I looked at all this over with my It, and nothing here was related to the problem. Still problem was never found, but by some pure absurd reason, the e-mail connected, and all has been well since. I have to say though that you guys did try, and did put effort in trying to resolve my problem, so you should get a consolation prize, so i will accept the answer so we can close the case.