John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
53785

I am using Excel on an iMac with OS 10.6.8. I am trying to

I am using Excel on an iMac with OS 10.6.8. I am trying to "customize my keyboard" by assigning the keystrokes Command-X to "Cut". But all I get is the vibrating box highlighting what I want to cut so I also have to hit the delete key to get rid of the data. Sometimes I get it to work for a while but suddenly it will revert to the vibrating box again. Any ideas? I used FileMaker Pro for years and used this keystroke combo constantly and I'm trying to replicate it in Excel. Hope to hear something good. Robin
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Command-X cuts the selected data but won't remove it from the selected range until you paste it somewhere else (hence Cut & Paste). That's why you see the 'vibrating' box which is telling you that it is waiting for you to select a destination and Copy it there. Only then it will be deleted from the vibrating box

If however you want to just cut the data in one key stroke, use the Delete key directly instead of Command-X

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the solution