Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My MacBook Pro wont turn on. Grey screen with flashing folder

Customer Question

My MacBook Pro wont turn on. Grey screen with flashing folder icon. Placed Install disc in looks like it wants to reload entire system. Want to save my old info? What can I do
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Mike, when I do so it does not pull up a Mac HD option only Matshita DVD or Mac OS X Install DVD, am I putting in the wrong disk?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Is that a MacBook Pro with a battery you can remove?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The MacBook is about 2 years old, I believe I would have to take off the casing some how.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK I don't need you to remove it just asking. Unfortunately it sounds like the hard drive has failed but you can try this:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.

Then try the disk again

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I need to remove the disk first, if so how, it wont eject
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike, it still will not show a HD just shows the Install Disks I mentioned before
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Then I'm afraid it has failed sorry needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help, do I still pay the monies for your services?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You have already Accepted. This service promises a corect answer not to fix failed hardware. Thanks.