Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

My iPhone 5 is typing on its own. How can I fix this?

Customer Question

My iPhone is just doing random things e.g. opening apps, dialling numbers etc. It works on its own and will cut out from a call or programme at any time.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Claws224 :

Can you press and hold down the power (top) and the menu (front) buttons for a full 15 seconds, during that time the iPhone should power up then shut down then power up then shut down again.

After it has shut down the second time can you then wait a few seconds then press the power button for 2 seconds to see if it will power up cleanly and then work correctly.

If not can you connect your iPhone to your computer and allow iTunes to open then select the device from the left hand side menu and you should then see the option on the right hand side to restore your device. If you can select that, then iTunes will reload the latest software onto your device and automatically restart it and then sync your library back to it so that if there was any corruption in the software it will then be fixed.

Let me know if neither of those work.

Thanks

JACUSTOMER-vsjzwd36- :

Hi there.

I have actually tried resetting to factory conditions and the power off bit but neither have worked. I also updated software yesterday to see if that helped but it didn't.

Claws224 :

Ok,
Can you tell me what you did when you reset the iPhone?
Did you plug it in, then select it in the left and click restore on the right hand side of the iTunes window?

If so, can you tell me if you use any after market docks or connectors with your iPad? Also is there any chance that your iPad has gotten wet or damp recently?

JACUSTOMER-vsjzwd36- :

Its an iPhone and a window came up giving me the option to update the software and reset to factory settings.

Claws224 :

Ok,
Can you follow the steps in this iClarified article to put the iPhone into DFU mode http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034
Once into DFU can you then restore the phone again and let me know what happens or if it still does not behave correctly.

JACUSTOMER-vsjzwd36- :

Will do

Claws224 :

Ok,
Just take your time and let me know what happens

JACUSTOMER-vsjzwd36- :

Syncing at the moment...

Dialling numbers and moving pages whilst synching! It has a screen cover on it - has since Feb. Could this be pressing down on it?

Claws224 :

That is possible, especially if it has been in a pocket or been impacted

Is it a high dollar protector or Phone wrap or was it pretty cheap?

If it was cheap, I would suggest removing it and seeing if you see any improvement

JACUSTOMER-vsjzwd36- :

Will remove it

Claws224 :

If it was a wrap like an invisishield then I hate to suggest removing it as it is expensive to rewrap

JACUSTOMER-vsjzwd36- :

It was but no worries, taken it off - still doing it!

Claws224 :

Ok,
This next step will sound really crazy

Can you grab the charge/sync cable and leave it disconnected from the USB on your computer

JACUSTOMER-vsjzwd36- :

Ok

Claws224 :

With it unplugged can you connect, then disconnect it from the iPhone 20-30 times so that it seats all the way in then remove it all the way

What I want to do is try and clean the bottom dock connector as sometimes dirt or other things in the dock connector can cause the iPhone to behave strangely.

JACUSTOMER-vsjzwd36- :

No good I'm afraid

Claws224 :

Ok,

In that case I am sorry to say but it looks like a trip to your Apple store as the software is fine, and the screen protector was not the issue.
Other than the things we have tried there is nothing else that we can do in this format

I am really sorry that I was not able to help

JACUSTOMER-vsjzwd36- :

Ok, really appreciate your help

Claws224 :

You are very welcome