Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My daughters Itouch froze. The touch screen wont let me turn

Customer Question

My daughters Itouch froze. The touch screen won't let me turn it off or go past the slide to unlock screen. The message is Activation Required. If I play around with the start button enough I get a message telling me that the IOS setup is complate. I had already downloaded the new software weeks ago and it seemed fine. I have tried to press the Start using IPod touch button, but nothing happens. I can not reset it because when I hook it up to ITunes I get a message telling me that I need to unlock the IPod before it can conect to ITunes. Also, twice my computer froze up when the IPOd was hooked up diectly to the computer. As soon as I unhooked it, the computer unfroze.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi My name is Ashik. I hope i can help you.

You can reset your iPod and see if that works or not. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds. iPod will automatically restarts and return to home screen. If it not restarts after holding the button for 10 seconds, hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button until it restart itself.

Let me know if that didn't worked...Only click Accept after we solved the problem.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, same activation message.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.

Put your iPod to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) Mode and restore it from iTunes. Follow the steps below;

• Connect the iPod to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer
  • Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.
  • After exactly 8 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPod in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPod will remain blank.

Let me know if that didn't worked..Only click Accept after we solved the problem.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tried but got a message that staed IPod could not be restored and an unknown error messge 1601.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Can you restore it from different computer ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tried diiferent computer. Recieved message the IPod was in DFU mode, but when the summary screen appeared, it was blank. Could not hit restore button. Also, the IPod will not turn on.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
UNplug it from your computer and then reset it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tried that already.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Connect it to your computer and hold down both buttons until it shows USB Cable pointing to iTunes. Let me know...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nnever showed me USB cable to ITunes. Just the same activation required message again.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
That is strange....When you put it to DFU Mode, doesn't iPod told you it found an iPod in recovery mode ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The computer told me but not the ipod. The ipod just went blank.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
That means your iPod is in DFU Mode. When you click OK, does it starts restoring ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It started to then I recieved that error message(1601).
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delays....network problems here. Does this happens when you restore from different computer ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I never got the error message because I was never able to restore it since the summary page remained blank.

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Download and install latest iTunes on it from here : http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then see if you are able to restore.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't. On one computer I get the error message 1601 and on the other I get a blank summary screen so that I can not choose restore.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Sorry i'm out of ideas. I will opt out and send this question to other experts in here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

After multiple attempts I was finally able to restore the Ipod. However, it will not let me slide to open or shut off the ipod. Right now I have a screen with IPOD on it and the slide on the bottom is just reading confingure in different languages.

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
After restoring did you setup it as new iPod or restore from backup ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
as a new ipod since it was on a different computer than I usally use.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
I still don't understand why it is not working..and i'm out of ideas.