Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  17+ years of IT support

I have a mac and for the last month and its getting worse

Customer Question

I have a mac and for the last month and it's getting worse - I'll look at 2-3 emails and then I have to "force quit" because the rainbow ball starts
Category: Mac
Expert:  Toby K. replied 4 years ago.
I suggest running First Aid on the drive. Do you have the OS X DVD? If so, try this:

To check your startup disk, run First Aid from your software installation DVD:

1. Insert the DVD, and then restart your computer. To force your computer to boot from the DVD, hold down the C key.

2. Follow the instructions on the screen, and when the menu bar appears, from the Utilities (Mac OS X 10.5 and later) or Disk Utilities (Mac OS X 10.4) menu, select Disk Utility.

3. In the column on the left, select the volume you want to repair, and then on the right, click the First Aid tab. You can select multiple volumes by holding down the Command key while clicking the volumes.

4. To begin a verification process (a simple check for errors), click Verify Disk. To verify and repair any problems on the selected volume(s), click Repair Disk. You can stop the scan at any time by clicking Stop Verify or Stop Repair.

The results of a verification and/or repair will be posted in the window. Run First Aid repeatedly until you see the following message at the end of the scan, where diskname is the name of your disk:

The volume "diskname" appears to be OK.

Let me know if you have any problems afterwards. Thanks!