John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

My iMac (2007) has frozen, when trying to login on initial

My iMac (2007) has frozen, when trying to login on initial start up (pink galaxy screen), the mouse cursor moves but nothing clicked on activates anything.
Is there any key commands after the start up Gong sound to create a reboot??
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

What version of OS X are you running currently?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Snow leopard

Try restarting the computer and as soon as you hear the startup chime, hold down the SHIFT key to boot into safe mode. See if you can access the desktop normally. If so, reboot and let it boot up as usual. See if the desktop now works as expected.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did as you recommended, apple comes up with timer wheel, then a quick blue screen flash, and back to the galaxy background, but nothing activates when clicked on. Same result.
Okay, that's unfortunate.

do you have your OS X Snow Leopard disc handy?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Insert the OS X install CD.

Restart the Mac and as soon as you hear the startup chime, press the "C" key to boot from the disc.

Choose your language and when you are sitting at the Introductory Installer screen, go up to "Utilities" and choose Disk Utility.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar.

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Once that is done, on the right hand side of the page, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Once the process has completed, reboot your Mac.

Now see if there is any improvement and let me know how it turns out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That has seemed to have worked.
Thank you
You're welcome!

Please click ACCEPT so I can be credited for my time assisting you. Experts do not earn a salary and thus our work is only recognized when it is "accepted" by the customer. If you continue to have questions on this topic, even after accepting, just reply back to this thread. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Note: When leaving feedback, please judge only my personal efforts. Do not leave negative feedback for factors outside my control; such as hardware defects, loss/lack of software or backups, or the JustAnswer website.