John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

Dear Sir or Ms: What settings to I have to change or action

Dear Sir or Ms:

What settings to I have to change or action to take in order: (1) NOT to have dozens of icons pile up on another in the far right of my actual desktop (I think, but am not sure, that a new icon is added to that pile each time I open a file. ; and/or (2) NOT to have such icons even appear spread-out ANYWHERE at all on my desktop (because there are too many of them to fit on the desktop without overlapping on another to the point that I can see what many of them are).

FYI, I am using a Mac desktop (about 4-5 years old), with O/S X version 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
My processor is a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo
My memory is 2GB 667 Hz DDR2 SDRAM

Thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

To clarify, are you saving every document to your desktop?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not intentionally, but perhaps inadvertently. Where do I look to see if that is what I am doing?

Assuming that I am able to stop saving on my desktop, will the docs continue to be saved in my hardrive (e.g., in one of the folders that I had created)?

Thanks.

Steve
If you are saving a local document (such as from Word, Pages, etc...) it should list where it is being saved on the 'save dialog sheet' that appears when saving the document. If it points to "Desktop" then simply change it to "Documents". Most apps will store your last "save location".

If these are files you are downloading, via Safari, they should be going into your "Downloads" folder. You can verify this by doing the following:

open Safari, if it isn't already

Click "Safari" in the menubar

Choose Preferences

Select the General tab

Locate the setting "Save downloaded files to:" and make sure it is set to "Downloads".

Let me know if this works for you. If it does, please click ACCEPT so I can be credited for my time assisting you. Experts do not earn a salary and thus our work is only recognized when it is "accepted" by the customer. If you continue to have questions on this topic, DO NOT leave negative feedback, just reply back to this thread. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks,

Note: When leaving feedback, please judge only my personal efforts. Do not leave negative feedback for factors outside my control; such as hardware defects, loss/lack of software or backups, or the JustAnswer website.

Please feel free to ask me a new question at any time (if you’re a subscriber, you can do so at no additional cost beyond your monthly payment). Bookmark my profile page for easy access:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
John,

Thanks,

I tried it once, and it save as as you indicated.

Please also let me know:

1. Why would one want to I ever save to one's desktop?

2. If I remove the icons from the desktop, will it delete them from any of the folders I have created? (I hope not).

Thanks.

Steve

Steve
Glad to hear it worked, Steve.

1. Some people use the desktop very much like their "real" desktops. They only keep files and documents there related to a current project they may be working on. Personally, I try to keep everything organized in the proper folders from the outset - otherwise, I usually end up with a desktop covered in icons. Tongue out

2. The desktop is a folder just like any other. So, make sure you have a copy of that file where you expect it to be (in the folders you created), before you delete it from the desktop. If you find you have more than one copy of the same document, you may wish to delete the oldest version.

Hope that helps,
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry