SalemMac
SalemMac, Mac Genius
Experience:  15 Years of Mac Support In Enterprise Administration.
62935470

I am running a 27 inch Mac (Lion) and I have connected a 23

Customer Question

I am running a 27 inch Mac (Lion) and I have connected a 23 inch LG LCD monitor. I am using the second monitor facing away from me on my desk so that visitors in my office can see what I have on screen so that I do not have to keep swivelling my computer around which is a pain in the neck (literally).

Ideally I would like to mirror the 27 inch screen on the 23 inch screen exactly but that is impossible for me because I do not want to drop the 27 inch resolution below 2560 x 1440 and the 23 inch is only running at 1080p.

I'm simply trying to find an app that will let me select a part of the 27 inch screen of suitable proportion to display on the 23 inch screen in the same res that that part is being displayed on the 27 inch screen (Ideally the 23 inch screen display would "follow" the active part of the 27 inch display but I am sure that that will be asking too much).

My question is: does anybody know of an app that will do this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

I would have thought that the monitor would be able to go higher than that for resolution.
Have you tried the monitors menu (apart from the display setting on the iMac)?

If that doesn't do it then you may have to get a better monitor as I have never heard or seen an app like what you are looking for.
Hardware would do it if you could install a second video card that would show the lower resolution. The iMac has no expansion slots for that.

So the answer is, as far as I know there is no software to do that, only hardware.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dan,

Thank you for considering my question however I do need a software solution.

Faithfully,

Simon.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
There is no software solution, your video card cannot do what you are asking of it. It is much like asking a front wheel drive car to be 4 wheel without the drive train, never happen.
I do have a suggestion that should or could work for you.
Use dual screens instead of mirroring them, you could use a small mirror to see what is on the monitor facing away from you or maybe out it so both you and your customer could both see it.
Best I can offer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I expect that the answer will require me to operate in a dual screen arrangement rather than a "mirrored" arrangement. Switching to dual screen does not of itself allow the visitor to monitor what I am doing on the computer. That is where I need a software solution.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Good luck but don't hold your breath. The problem is hardware limitations not software, you video card cannot handle what you are asking it to do.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I need a software solution.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Like I said, that will not happen. Relist all you want but not even congress can help you with this.
Expert:  SalemMac replied 5 years ago.
There is no solutions that fits your requirements. It is not possible. The hardware simply can not be driven by software in this way. You will never see a solution to this problem because there is no real word application for this type of software. Video cards are simply not designed to work this way.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is no technical reason why an application cannot duplicate any particular area being displayed on the primary monitor on a second display. I have found a neat work around using a free application called "Duplicate Windows" which I have used to duplicate a remote terminal server window on a second monitor then I have resized the "Duplicate Window" on the second monitor to achieve basically exacty what I want to achieve. I thank the boys at Teknia Melbourne for that solution. Prize is still available to anyone who can up with something as neat or neater.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I see no technical reason why an application cannot duplicate any particular area being displayed on the primary monitor on a second display. I have found a neat work-around using a free application called "Duplicate Windows" which I have used to duplicate a remote terminal server window being displayed on the primary monitor on a second monitor then I have resized the "Duplicate Window" on the second monitor to achieve basically exacty what I want to achieve. I thank the boys at Teknia Melbourne for that solution. It is operating in the real working environment very well. Prize is still available to anyone who can up with something as neat or neater.

Please remember that very rarely can one accurately say that there is certainly no solution.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.