Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

We recently purchased an airport extreme to replace our older

We recently purchased an airport extreme to replace our older cisco router. We got it home and connected it to the airport utility application, and almost got done setting it up but it was late, and I had to go to bed. When i tried to access it through airport utility a second time to finish it, however, Airport Utility kept saying it was unable to find any airport wireless devices, and would you like to try again. The cisco router seems to still work on the computer that is not directly connected to the modem. When we were setting up the airport extreme, it asked if we wanted to create a new network on the router, replace an old network, and one other, of which i have forgotten. I chose to replace an existing network, which I think might have caused the problem. What are we doing wrong and how do we fix it? The computer that we are installing the router on is an iMac running OSX 1.6.8, with Airport Utility version 5.5.3. Our internet provider is Comcast.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Claws224 :

Can you go to the airport and then unplug the base station from power

Once unplugged can you then press and hold the reset button with a straightened paperclip, then plug the base station back in while continuing to hold the button for approximately 5 seconds until you see the three status lights glow then let go of the reset button.

Once you do that can you wait approx 2 minutes and then launch the airport utility and see if you can then connect to the airport and choose to setup a new wireless network and setup the router.

Claws224 :

If you have any issues please let me know

Customer:

ok, i will try that. thank you

Claws224 :

Ok,

If it does not work let me know at what point you ran into issues

Thanks