Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

when i plug in my ipad or iphone to itunes my pictures in iphoto

when i plug in my ipad or iphone to itunes my pictures in iphoto aren't there
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean they show up in iPhoto but are not selectable in iTunes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes iphoto has 1,900 photo but when I go to itunes it says 9 photos
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
So you select the iPad on the left under Devices and then you go to Photos tab on the right and only 9 show up there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the same thing happens with iphone
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok.

First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Info about Mac, Processor 2.16 GHz intel Core 2 duo
memory 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
System version?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Version 10.6.8
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK run the disk utility.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just did says HD appears OK
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

So Verify Disk was OK in green and then you Repaired Permissions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Running Repair Permission now
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok after that hold Option and drag your iPhoto Library from Pictures folder to Desktop to copy it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok iphoto is copied to my desktop
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Quit iPhoto, hold down the Option and Command keys and start iPhoto. Check all the boxes and run Rebuild.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok done
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok go to Apple logo to Software Update.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok no updates
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok open iTunes what do you see? You don't see your Albums and Events listed like this?

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No mine looks like the top but nothing under it with albums & events
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
And you have Albums that you made right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I do about 15 of them
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok try this...

-Quit iphoto

-Make a back up copy of ~/pictures/iphoto library.. Always to be safe (we did already)

Right click on the iPhoto Library and go to Show Package Contents, drag albumdata.xml to the desktop (this is the file that all the ilife applications look at when browsing iphoto from them

- Launch iphoto

- Create an album (this will recreate the ~/pictures/iphoto library/albumdata.xml file that you moved out

- no need to put a picture in the new album

- Now try and launch iTunes and check

Let me know how this works
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry but I do have albums and Events but when I check the boxes it says 0 pictures except in about 3 albums, some have 1 or 2 or 6 pictures in them. It says I only have 9 photos in iphoto

Ok I did that and still the same, the new album is there but still no pitcures
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
There may have been more than one xml file did you see another? Also under Photos in iTunes select Sync Phtotos from is there only one iPhoto listed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was another xml file but it's not there now. when I select sync photos it say 9 photos but all my albums are there but no photos in albums
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No I meant click on it do you see a drop down menu?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes there is a drop down menu it has picture folder to select and when I select that it says 6 photos
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
And when you select iPhoto there are 9?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
When you dragged the xml file out did you make a new Album after?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when I select iphoto is says 0 but when i select certain albums it will say 1, 2, or 6 pictures
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Right is says zero until you start choosing Albums or Events to sync. If you select iPhoto and choose All Photos, Albums, Events & Faces how many is it then?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if I select all albums and events it says 9 photos!! Are you as frustrated as I am?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Yes but we can fix it you may have a little work to do. First go to your username / LIbrary / Preferences and drag com.apple.iphoto.plist to the trash restart and look again. If no luck you will have to make new Library and move your copied Library to it let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok my iphoto is empty
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
So you created a new Library? If so right click on your copied library on the desktop to Show Package Contents and drag Originals or Masters and Modified folders to the new library window in iPhoto.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.