Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I keep getting the need to restart my computer message. I tried

I keep getting the need to restart my computer message. I tried holding down option, control p and r and it keeps coming back. I have also tried starting up in safe mood and it keeps coming back. Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Can you do this?

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I can't get into my computer at all. It has the error message to restart and that's as far as I have got. I did restart it holding comand s and now there is a bunch of text on screen. will any of this info help?

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't have a disk. I bought from a friend and he forgot to send the disk with it. He will mail to me but I have a project that i need to get off in the next couple hours so I am trying anything.

Is it possible to recover with out the disk?

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No holding Shift as you did would make an attempt to repair the drive if that is the problem but it sounds like it may be a hardware issue, can't tell without the disk. If you have any peripherals connected unplug everything but the keyboard and mouse and try Shift again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it's a MacBook Pro laptop so no mouse. I tried that and got same message.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
That is a kernel panic and usually means there is a hardware problem but you need the disk.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Thank you.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You could just buy a Snow Leopard disk for $29 from Apple store or other store if that is an Intel Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Of course if you are going there you might as well have them look at it.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok?