Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I own an HP SimpleSave sd500A portable hard drive. When I plug

Customer Question

I own an HP SimpleSave sd500A portable hard drive. When I plug it into the back of my iMac, the blue light on the drive illuminates and I can hear the disc in the drive whirring smoothly. However, the disc appears nowhere on my iMac. Not in finder, not in disk utility, etc. Any thoughts? I've tried different USB cables, in different ports and on two computers (iMac and MacBook Air). Any thoughts? I think that, since it lights up and the disc is whirring normally, the drive isn't damaged (and it hasn't been dropped, etc.).
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Open Disk Utility do you see it listed there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Go to the Apple Logo to About this Mac / More Info then select USB on the left do you see the device listed on the right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nope, it's not listed. Just the printer, the keyboard/mouse, the IR receiver, and the Bluetooth USB host controller.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
In that case the enclosure has failed... the drive inside might still be ok. You might check with HP to see if still under warranty if not you can get another enclosure to put the drive in if it is still good.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, well hopefully that's it. I guess I'll pay, since you put some effort in, even though my question remains unanswered.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Thank you... it WAS actually "answered" that is what we guarantee to answer correctly not to fix failed hardware, that of course would not be possible. Thank you again and good luck.