Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I cant open any attachments in received emails in Entourage

Customer Question

I can't open any attachments in received emails in Entourage 2004 for MAC. I'm running Snow Leopard on my MAC.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My iMAC is running OS X 10.6.8
Processor 3.2GHz Intel Core i3
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Repairing disk permissions now...Macintosh HD is verified OK.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok Office 2004 is a Power PC program and runs in emulation on Intel Macs so that could be part of the problem that will not run at all if you upgrade to Lion but anyway let's see what we have. First go to Entourage / Help Check for Updates
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Permissions repair complete...now what?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You must have missed my post:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not upgraded to Lion; there was an update to Entourage that I have installed, and I am still unable to open attachments.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Awaiting your reply...
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes I know I was just pointing that out. You can't open ANY attachments? What kind of files are they?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Doesn't seem to matter...PDF, jpeg, giff, etc. I also cannot drag the file icon to the desktop as I used to...go figure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
By the way...this all started after ATT U-verse was installed at my home...is there a cause/effect relationship?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Could be was the email account setup and working before that? Is it the same account as before? Who is your email provider?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it is the same ISP (ATT) with the same account settings as before...none of that has changed.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
So is that an ATT Yahoo account can you get the attachments if you sign into your webmail here?

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.intl=us&.partner=sbc&.src=ym
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there some basic incompatibility between Snow Leopard and Entourage 2004? It has been working OK untill the past 5 days. The only problem I have is that I cannot open attachments in email messages...and I'm darned if I know why.

I'm going to sign off now because I do not have the time to sit here all afternoon. Thanks for trying
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Do you have the preferences set to only partially download attachments? Please come back when ready since I have just started to diagnose this, thanks.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Still need help?