Mary, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  25+ years supporting the Mac graphic arts industry

i have a MAC running 10.5.8, and have been using QuarkXpress

i have a MAC running 10.5.8, and have been using QuarkXpress v. 7.3, for several years, with virtually no problems. Yesterday, Quark would not load. It would start to load, then the color wheel would just spin and spin...I reloaded the software Quark) from the original disk, still not loading. I deleted the original Quark files, and reloaded from scratch. Nothing. Contacted QUark, they gave me 7.5 to load from a clean version, and still not working. I don't know what else to do...message in dock on Quark alias icon, says: "application not responding".
I depend 100% on Quark for my work and have a few jobs I need to get done today...can anyone help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mary replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mary and I'll do my best to help you solve your Quark issue.

Argh - I know the frustration you're feeling with a deadline looming. I'll do everything I can to get you back up and running as quickly as possible.

First thing I want you to do is this:

Quit Quark
Quit any font manager you might be using (and if you are using one, which?)
Then go to Apple Menu / Software Update and make sure all updates are downloaded and installed.

Let me know when you've done that an we'll continue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, checking for software updates...
Expert:  Mary replied 4 years ago.
Keep me updated and I'll do a bit of research on my end.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, I downloaded Software updates and restarted my computer...what's next? --Rivkah
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also, I am only using Font Book. Can I/Do I need to "quit" FontBook?
Expert:  Mary replied 4 years ago.
If you're just using the normal OSX font utility Font Book, then no, there's no worries there as it is maintained by the OSX updates. I just wanted to ensure that something like Suitcase couldn't be causing the problem.

Now another question, please bear with me - what did Quark send you - a full 7.5 installer or an update for your current 7.3? And, if an update, do you have your current 7.x installation disks/file along with the serial and activation code?

Quark can be a BITCH to reinstall, so before I recommend you delete anything, I want to make sure everything is in place.

Also, just for laughs, try to launch Quark now and see it if runs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried restarting/launching Quark, still not loading properly -- the Quark window pops up, but the color wheel just spins...
Quark sent me the full installer for 7.5 which is what is on my Mac now. Also have the original 7.3 disk, with activation codes, etc.
Scared that it won't work...hope you can help.-- Rivkah
Expert:  Mary replied 4 years ago.
Well, since you have the full installers, activation codes, etc. I think we can safely nuke whatever Quark is on your system and do a clean reinstall.

One question though: are you trying to launch Quark by double-clicking on a particular file or by launching it out of the dock / applications folder?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Launching from the dock and also tried directly from the applications folder.

I did delete the 7.3 from my system and reloaded 7.5 from scratch. Just don't know if there were any hidden remaining files that did not delete.

Can try again if you think it will work. Just tell me what to do.

Question: Can we do this over the phone instead of going back and forth with text -- or is that not appropriate for JustAnswer?

I can be reached at: XXX-XXX-XXXX. Please let me know how to proceed!

Expert:  Mary replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately JA doesn't have a telephone support system in place. The back and forth text is all we have - frustrating to me too, but well, them's their rules.

I too find it much easier to guide people by voice, and I've submitted a request for phone support, so hopefully that will happen in the future.

Anyway, I see that you've tried to open the application directly (I wanted to rule out the possibility that you were trying to open a corrupted file).

It's very probably that when you did the clean reinstall, the old prefs file was not replaced.

I suggest you delete the current one (but be aware, if you have color, font, tool, etc. preferences set, this will wipe them out):

To find and trash the prefs file, do this:

Quit Quark
Double click on your main HD icon
Go to Users / your username / library / preferences
Do you see a folder called Quark in there? If so, send it to the trash
Empty the trash (If you get an error message about a busy file, then reboot and then empty the trash)
Try starting Quark again from either the dock or the Applications folder (doesn't matter which)

Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, will try...and let you know...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
YES!!! It worked!!! You are a genius! Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX thank you!!!! I tried it twice and opened both times!
I hope this fixes Quark and I won't have any more problems with it!!! (But if a problem re-occurs, can I contact you again?)

Thank you so much!
Expert:  Mary replied 4 years ago.

Oh and damn to all for corrupted prefs!

And absolutely contact me again. Bookmark my profile for easy access:

And this is a totally off-topic question, but are you possibly Rivkah on Snopes? If not, forget I asked, but the name caught my eye.

All the best,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Mary, I accepted your answer and made the payment.

No, although I do read Snopes, I am not affiliated with it at all.

I also kept your profile in my bookmarks in case I ever need help again.
Thanks again!
Expert:  Mary replied 4 years ago.
You're very welcome!

All the best,