Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My Miscrosoft Word for Mac 10, student and home edition. Word

My Miscrosoft Word for Mac '10, student and home edition. Word crashes sometimes every few days, especially (but not always) when I try to "save as,"change a footnote, move some text around, etc.

I have a desktop Mac, running Apple 's Snow Leopard.

My iBank financial software also crashes from time to time (but not always) when I try to do a "save as."

Thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I assume you mean Office 2011 correct?

First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mike, yes, "Office 2011."

Mac OS 10.6.8
Processor: 2.16GHz, Intel Core Duo
Memory: 2GB 667Hz DDR2 SDRAM.

I followed you nicely detailed instructions (Thank you for the detail). Verify Disk" indicated that the disk was OK. I then clocked on "Repair Permissions. After 12 minutes it said "Repair Permissions Complete."

What are my next steps?

Thank you.

Steve
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Go to Word / Help / Check for Updates.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked just now. No (further) updates available.

What now?

Steve
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok Go here and download Maintenance for your system version, install it, run it and follow directions then check all boxes and Execute. Restart.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mie,

Thank you.

I will do that tomorrow (Saturday) and notify you of my results.

Steve
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok that will delete the font cache seomtines makes Word crash.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mike,

On December 1, 2011, I followed your instructions, ultimately performing the repairs pursuant to permissions. However, just yesterday, when I either did a copy or a cut (and was preparing to do a paste-- I do not remember which -- ) from one section of a Word doc (Office for Mac '10) to another section of the same document, Word froze, I had to force quit it and of course thereby lost the last few minutes of data. (Moving text was one of the two examples of causes of freezes I indicated to you on 12/1. The other was changings footnote (which I have avoided doing since 12/1). There still may be other examples, but I do not presently recall because I am not always paying attention to what I had done immediately before Word "froze.")

Now that I have done a "repair" per your instructions, yet still have the freeze problem, do you have further idea of what I can do to stop Word from freezing from time to time?

FYI, I am running an IMAC desktop, Snow Leopard O/S 10.6.8

I have had this problem sine long before December 1st on the Office '10 version, (and its previous version and even got Microsoft to send me a replacement disk of its previous version of Word for Mac (as part of Office for Mac), yet the problem reoccured periodically after I had uninstalled the 1st disk and installed the second disk of that previous version.

Thank you.

Steve
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Did you run the Maintenence program?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Sorry, when I said "permissions," I should have said that then I ran the maintenance program.

Sorry also for delay. I have been out since I e-mailed you earlier today.

Steve
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Go to /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/My Templates/ drag Normal.dotm to the trash, restart and try again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am going to try that right now. (FYI. Just after I sent you today's e-mail, the same thing happened,: I tried to cut & paste & it froze).

Steve
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mike,

Where do I find "Go to//Users/ ...etc." ? (I looked for it in all the titles at the top of my word screen & all of their respective dropdown menus)
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Maicntosh HD / Users ......
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mike,

I was able to implement your suggestion all the through "MMicrosoft." However, when I opened that folder, the only folder that dropped down that had the word "Office" as part of its name was Office Converter Support." Some of the other items in that drop down menu were HV1.0" MAU2.0" . silverlight etc.

However, when I tried a completely different route -- I opened "Word," I got all the way to the "Normal.dotm"and tried to drag it into the Trash. However, I never -- including now --am able to drag something to Trash and get it deleted when I go thru Word. But at least I saw it there.

What now?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
There would be no dropdown I am just asking you to navigate to that folder quit Word all together.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I closed Word & then was able to follow all of your previous steps & drag "dotm" to the Trash.

I then have re-opened Word. Many of my toolbars have changed. However, I should be able to c easily re-establish the Toolbars that I had before deleting the "dotm."

I am leaving town fo a week, so I will not have a chance to see if I ever have the problem again. if I do, I will get back to you.

Nevertheless, I consider the problem solved and I thank you.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok good luck.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.