David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional

Im working on a book with endnotes appended to my chapters.

I'm working on a book with endnotes appended to my chapters. I'd like to move just the endnotes to a single document so it looks like this:

Chapter I

Chapter 2

But when I cut and paste I lose all the endnotes numbers. Is there a way I can do this and preserve the numbers that go with the specific chapters?

I'm running Word for Mac 2011.

Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.
Hi my name is David.

Are you creating a separate document for each chapter? Sounds like the endnotes are formatted for one large document, and then when pasted into a new document they are not formatted as you would like them.

All you should need to do is change the endnote formatting. There is a Microsoft page on it here:

Kind regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm kinda dense but this doesn't seem to be working. You're right that I have endnotes at the tail of each chapter or individual document. The numbers on the endnotes refer to specific parts in the document. What I want to do is make an Endnotes document in which I can move the endnotes from the end of each dcoument to the Endnotes document. But I can't get the endnotes to retain their original numbers. For example, if I copy and paste the enddnotes from Chapter I (numbers 1-25) and paste them in a new document (Endnotes) each endnote is numberd "i" or "1." The numbers do not progress. Manipulating the window in "Insert" doesn't help.

I tried removing the endnotes with Cmd-X instead of Cmd-C but CMD-X doesn't work in that mode.

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

Sounds like you want to separate each chapter, and separate the endnotes. In this case as they are referencing another document they won't work as expected. In this case I would manually format the text, this will give you 100% control.

Kind regards,